Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Finally got rid of the ugly old shed, yay! *lots of photos*

peachymomo
12 years ago

My bf finally built a new shed (that doubles as a work shop) and tore down the old one, and he and his friend got the ugly roof extension torn off as well. Things are looking better!

View from the Kitchen, before and after:

{{gwi:553694}}{{gwi:553696}}

View from the back door, before and after:

{{gwi:553698}}{{gwi:553700}}

Back of the house, before and after:

{{gwi:553701}}{{gwi:553702}}

View from behind the shed, before and after:

{{gwi:553703}}{{gwi:553704}}

Ugly, old shed and nice, new shed:

{{gwi:553705}}{{gwi:553707}}

We are so happy we bought a BBQ to celebrate and had our first little backyard party. I'm feeling very good about finally making some progress, phase one is complete and now we just have to save up money to tackle phase two. If you're wondering why the trim was not cut flush to the one side of the shed it's because we plan to build a trellis along the two sides with doors and my bf thought it would help to have that piece intact when they did it.

Thanks for looking!

Comments (9)

• dbardot
    12 years ago

Wow, fresh canvas! That is very exciting! I can't wait to see what you start planting.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Wow, that's a fantastic shed/workshop! You have one very handy bf!!

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

The difference from the inside of the house is amazing. Your kitchen must be flooded with light now. I love it. What a wonderful change.

The new shed is great too- you can't even see it. Is it way up against the fence instead of out in the middle of the yard? I love the colors (similar to my house :)). You two have really undertaken a lot of work and finished it all in short order. This is an inspiration- I must finish grouting my shower now!

Renee

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much! We're feeling very proud of ourselves ;oP

The view from inside the house is so much better now, before you had to bend down to see anything but the ground outside and now the whole room is filled with light and we can actually see our wonderful trees.

The long term plan is to create privacy using plantings and a few judiciously placed trellises, then deal with the standing water issues by making a long, U-shaped dry creek just inside the privacy screen (also giving me a reason to bring in lots of rock.) I would like the center to be a 'meadow-lawn' planted with native grasses and wildflowers. And of course a nice, big patio and pergola close to the house. Then our yard will be like private little park for us to enjoy with the doggy, I can't wait :o)

Thanks for the positive feedback, it makes me feel even happier!

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot to say that the shed is just 5' from the fence, not only is it out of the way it serves as a partial privacy screen and blocks the view of our neighbor's giant blue shed. We are very happy with the color, I went through more than 20 different paint samples trying to choose, in a way it was the hardest part of the whole project ;o)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

You did good on the paint color- the shed blends in perfectly with the foliage and gives it a real woodsy feeling. It's really difficult to choose good paint colors for me. I ended up buying a whole set of acrylic paints which I mix and put up on the walls, then I go find a paint chip to match and order the paint. I've wasted so much money buying truly ugly paint!

I also built a dry creek bed for drainage and it works beautifully. The water used to come in under the front door and flood the living room; now it sweeps around at the front of the property and down my neighbor's gravel driveway, where it percolates into the soil and waters his big sycamores. I'm looking forward to seeing your creek bed. I recommend looking at Wanda's front yard to get good ideas. She built a spectacular dry stream bed. I used stones that are too small for mine, and it looks a little rinky-dink.
    Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

You have a nice big yard to work with, too. No wonder you are celebrating. It's just going to get better and better. Enjoy, and keep us updated on your progress. :)

• jenn
    12 years ago

I love the shed and the possibilities of a blank slate! You're going to have a lot of fun transforming your backyard into your own little paradise.

• BeardyMan
    12 years ago

Haha well done peachymomo