Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Star Jasmine

Posted by catheemivelaz z9 So. CA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 11:27

Hi, I live in Orange County, CA, and have several Star Jasmine Vines. The stems on the trellis are doing fine, but the ones closer to the ground (I want it to be a ground cover, too) are having problems. The leaves have turned brown (almost all of them). I don't know if I'm underwatering or overwatering. The sprinklers get them for 5 minutes every morning, and they receive mostly full sun. I can send a picture, but I don't think it will show you anything than what I've already described. Can someone help? Also, what type of soil should it be in? I have a Ph meter and can check to see if it's too high or too low. Should it be one or the other, and if it's not, what then? The soil is very compact, I can say that. We are about 6 miles from the beach, so there's lots of humidity. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Star Jasmine

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 16:48

Take a little trowel and dig around just a little bit and see how moist the soil is.

It might be better to really soak them once every week or two than to water them very lightly every day.

Usually the leaves turn brown when they are not getting enough water, but you can't be sure without getting out there and examining the soil to see how dry or moist it really is.

Don't worry about pH.

o

I agree, check the soil moisture in several different locations around the plants. Besides finding out how moist the soil is, you may find out that some areas are drier or wetter than others.
I would think that a lack of water would result in overall wilting, not brown/dead leaves on one part of the plant and normal leaves on another part of the plant.

Since the brown leaves are near the ground, has anyone been spraying chemicals at ground level nearby (weedkiller, etc)?

I have 4 star jasmine vines, in the San Fernando Valley. They are against a block wall. However they face northeast and the neighbor's tree casts some shade, so they are in the sun less than half the day. Even so, I water them about every 3 weeks in summer and about once a month in fall and spring. I have plastic edging that forms a water basin about 30 inches wide, around each of the plants, and I run the hose for about 20 to 30 minutes in each basin when I water. I have bark mulch in each basin, carefully keeping the mulch away from the trunk and crown.

Watering any plant every day for 5 minutes is not a good practice. It promotes shallow roots and encourages disease on the foliage.

o

Sometimes they get sunburned. Jasmine growing flat on the ground gets hit more directly by the sun that the vine that is growing up.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here