Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping blueberry vine

Posted by SaucyFossy Sunset17 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 11:56

Someone gave me some starts of this very cool vine they had all over their garden, they called it creeping blueberry but I would like to know its real name so I can take good care of it (though, it looks foolproof so far).

It is a vine with leaves that look like small grapeleaves and clusters of berries (also kinda grapelike, but small) that turn colors from pink to red to blue to fushcia to, I am not kidding, perfect turquoise in the fall. Pretty wild looking!!

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping blueberry vine

Sounds like porcelain berry, Ampelopsis brevipedunculata. It's a rampant grower, and needs a big support, like a chain link fence. It spreads rapidly by seeds. It likes part to full sun, and needs watering during the summer. I've never grown it in California, but it's trying to take over my garden in Portland, OR.

o

Glad I asked - it is porclain berry, and its invasiveness looks like a real problem. I planted it in a bed surrounded by concrete and fences, so I am pretty sure that is the best place for it. Too bad it is a pest, it is so pretty.

o

OK. I found these great-looking berries on humongous (30'on trees) vines when out on the Folsom bike trail. It looks like this porcelain berry except all the photos I could fine of that showed shiny leaves. This is very similar, but soft and nearly velvety, not shiny at all. Berries tasted (tasted and spit out of course) pretty much like blueberies. I saved a bunch but am afraid to eat them....any ideas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here