Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zinnia colors and styles / amaranth & sunflower too

Posted by deep___roots ca9/sunset15 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 12:07

Hope you like zinnias. Red elephant head amaranth is 6 foot 9 inches tall. The green elephant head is 4 feet tall.
A sunflower just because. The squirrels have usually lopped the heads by now, but not this year.
Sorry about the orientation of the last 2 pix!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zinnia colors and styles / amaranth & sunflower too

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 14:06

Gotta love the shear exuberance of these at the end of summer! I haven't grown zinnias or amaranthus in my own garden in years, partly because I don't really have the all day sun or warmth the prefer, but I do enjoy how luscious they look.

o

I love the cosmos too! My amaranth is huge this year. Here's the green with the red in the background:
Photobucket

o

Hey there hose: On my cosmos what is with the bees that lie on the flowers? Do they mate there? I saw 2 bees this morning on one flower...one bee looked dead, the other was alive but not too vigorous. Does the pollen knock them out?
Nice amaranth too! Nice garden in general. I see your lamb's ears are under control (kind of).

o

You got me. I don't think it's the pollen. Probably just old age. Worker bees don't mate- they're all females- so they haven't been overcome by conjugal bliss there on the flower and keeled over from heart attacks. That would be a nice way to go, though, wouldn't it?

Lamb's ears are never under control! But they do smell nice when you rip them out of the ground with your bare hands, don't they? And thanks for the compliment.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here