Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing mature Clematis and Rose for drought-tolerant plants

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 13:04

I am still considering removing a mature climbing rose (Westerland) and 3 mature Clematis next to it (Venosa Violacea, Polish Spirit, and Minute) to make room for a drought-tolerant garden at one end of our yard.

I have no trouble moving the other plants growing in front of them, but I am agonizing over these.

With the other plants gone, there will be much more space in front of Westerland give it more water and food, both of which it lacked this year. Two of the Clematis grow together in the same hole and are beautiful when in bloom. The other one is also beautiful but is somewhat hidden in the corner; I could try to find another spot for it in the yard.

If I decide to not keep them, I will give them away.

I don't want to regret making that decision. I could use some guidance, or maybe some counseling, LOL.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing mature Clematis and Rose for drought-tolerant plants

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 15:47

What about pouring dishwater or the rinsewater from the washing machine on them? Or save rainwater. You don't have to get rid of everything that needs water. 5 gallons a week would keep them happy, just cut your showers down by one or two minutes instead. 5 gallons isn't much...

o

If they give you pleasure, I think you should keep them.
How much could it really cost to water them? It's not like you're watering a lawn.
But if you're tired of them and just want a landscape that pretty much takes care of itself, then go right ahead and dig them out. I'll be right over to get them :)
Renee

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 9:39

Renee, they are yours if I decide to do that. :-)

It isn't that much water, really, but I've been considering a non-thirsty garden here and wanted to start with large shrubs at the back. However, I could add suitable companions around the rose and clematis, not too close.

I probably will move Venosa Violacea to another spot in the yard where it will be more visible.

o

Over the years most climbing roses and some clematis are not pruned hard enough. My climbers, I take the oldest canes right down to the ground, keeping only the youngest, not more than 3. My clematis I treat most type 2 as type 3 and take them down to about a foot high, yearly. These fine garden plants we tire of mostly because they become overgrown. Both are deep rooted and not excessively thirsty. Al

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 14:22

Well - it's been a year and I've decided I'm going to bite the bullet and do it. This year has been a string of health issues that left little time and/or energy to babysit the plants. Westerland and the Clematis are beautiful when in bloom, but not for this particular spot in our particular yard. I may try to find spots for the Clematis somewhere else, but I'm going to remove them and Westerland and replace them with different plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here