Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leahcate

Detering lizards

leahcate
12 years ago

Know of a way to deter lizards? They have chosen to sleep under/on the cushions of our rattan sofa on the covered patio. Their poop is everywhere. We removed the cushions for a week, and they stayed off after replacing, but only for about a week. The cushions are substantial and would be a pain to remove them all each night.

Saw an old post mentioning moth balls, and the dangers of using, and I'd not! My dog loves the sofa for naps. Another hint was onions, which I've not tried, but hard to believe. Any new tips? TIA!

Comments (18)

• doginthegarden
    12 years ago

We have a ton of lizards around our house too. I don't know any deterrents (your dog, maybe?) but perhaps you could offer them a better place to sleep? We pulled up some walkway stones (flat irregular shapes) and have them piled on a porch and it's lizard heaven, if I went out now and disturbed the pile I'd scare out at least a dozen.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Lizards are enthusiastic consumers of bad bugs, especially earwigs. Lizards are the good guys. The more lizards, the less bugs. They also occupy the same niche as snakes. If you have lizards, it means you don't have snakes.

Lizard poop?!? You sure it's not rodent?

Just lift up the cushions and check before you sit down.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

I agree with hoovb. I have TONS of lizards. Many, many. And I have never seen poop from the lizards. When you removed the cushions, did you see the lizards scurrying out? Or are you thinking they're hanging out there? Not really a spot for lizards, but definitely a spot for rats and mice. We have some patio furniture where I can store a throw under the lounge. I pulled it out and noticed it looked a little frayed. And a few droppings. That was mice damage and not lizards for me. They are about the only thing in the garden that will eat earwigs, so I love them. And I have no earwigs, either, btw!

Patty S.

• Debbie
    12 years ago

There are a couple of lizards who live in my compost pile. I wish they'd get out in the garden and find their supper out there, but they obviously know where the best bugs are. (And they are also safe from my dog.)

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey guys! I love lizards, just not the poop on the sofa. I cannot be 100% it's our buddies, but yes, I see them there when I've moved cushions. Same thing in the crack (where it folds) on the chaise cushions, out by the pool in the toasty sun. Can't blame 'em for wanting to be comfy.
    Don't think it's mice because we did have a rather big neighborhood invasion month ago and never saw mice there; In the garden, in the house, garage, etc. Not on the furniture. The mice have retreated( not that there cannot be a few still about...of course there are), but not the poop.
    sbmw, maybe they'll prefer a loose rock bed...I'll try that, though there are plenty in the garden for them to nestle in.

• jubilante
    12 years ago

I had a revelation a couple weeks ago as I walked through my garden of veggies and flowers...I would grow the garden just to enjoy the bees, butterflies and lizards!

Never once seen lizard poop.

• terrestrial_man
    12 years ago

Lechcate, probably the easiest way to find out if it is lizard poop or rodent droppings is to make sure the pads are clean in the early AM and then leave alone to see if the lizards use them and then before night fall check the pads to see if there are any droppings. If not then check the pads in the morning. If dropping appear over nite then it is rodents not lizards as lizards are probably hunting in early AM and before sunset. At night the mice play.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks tman, that makes sense and we will do it. I'll report back in a bit. Thanks for everyone's input. :>)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Lizard poop looks a bit like a bird dropping. It has white stuff at one end. If the poop does not have that, it may be rodent or hornworm poop.

• Rebecca Maxwell
    7 years ago

I can't believe the amount of people that actual question do lizards poop!?! They eat dont they!?! I had a pet lizard and it pooped all the time! I live in Fl and I hate seeing these lizards AND THEIR poop all over my furniture! The moth balls seemed to work until it rained but I just decovered that we have snakes and moth balls are supposed to ward them off too so I don't know what's going on.

• macranthos
    7 years ago

I don't think anyone in this thread was questioning whether or not lizards poop, just where they poop in the wild (or not as the case may be) and what it looks like.

This is also a 5 year old topic that has long since been retired and resolved.

• Rebecca Maxwell
    7 years ago

I saw no resolution for the person and if no new comments were allowed then the thread should be pulled altogether. Its retired for you because you've said your peace but for others having similar experience looking for answers, this is a new thread!

And FYI in the wild they poop on furniture!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

There's furniture in the wild?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I suspect the dog poop= flies= food for Lizards.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    7 years ago

Ha! Funny to see my old post tonight. Yes!! It was Lizard poop. It looks just as hosenenesis described ...... the poop expert ( amongst other nice things!) who also confirmed my possum poop!! :>D The patio was redone, things moved around, and don't see them nearly as often on furniture. . Plenty in the garden though...a very good thing.

Marti, : formerly leahcate

• Tim Walker
    7 years ago

I consider it a treat when I see a lizard. They don't seem to last long here.

Predation I assume. I even stack some wood to act as a shelter.

i see your problem is rectified. I would still build them a shelter to escape predators.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    5 years ago

You're surprised that people who post on "California Gardening" assume that you are posting about California gardening?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH