Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

Posted by kat58 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 13:33

A few months ago we put some red bark in our flowerbeds, now I am having problems with mushrooms. They are only growing in one particular bed where I have a some Lavender, two Calla Lilly and off to the side a Rose bush. I first started seeing mushrooms a few weeks ago around one of the Calla Lilly and dug them out. This morning I spotted a huge mushroom between my rose bush and the other Calla Lilly. How do I get rid of them?


Here are a couple of pics

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=u37a775.9vldj4g1&Uy=6487l3&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=689657767225_158560246209&localeid=en_US


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

It won't do any good to just dig them out, because the visible part (mushroom) is only the reproductive portion of the fungus. It's like chopping of a weed's flower and expecting the whole plant to die. The main part of the fungus is probably growing in, under or around the wood chips you put down.

I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm just guessing that to get rid of the fungus you might try: 1) taking out the wood chips 2) watering less 3) applying fungicide or 4) a combination of these measures.

You didn't say whether the fungus was harming your other plants. If it's not causing trouble, it might be best left alone.


 o
RE: Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

  • Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 19:04

The mushroom is *not* a problem. It's the "flowering" portion of a common fungus. Neither the mushroom nor the fungus are a problem.

The mushroom is there because everything it requires came together at the correct time
-- the common, non-damaging fungus
-- suitable temperature
-- suitable moisture conditions

You may not see more for months, possibly years.

So, relax and enjoy what nature does naturally in gardens, yards, landscape, and the forests.


 o
RE: Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

I just think this is so strange! Before we put the bark in the ground was very hard and dry. I would have to really soak it good in order to dig a hole to plant and the only thing that liked it were the weeds lol! It's been hot here, in the 90s-100s and I only water that area as needed so I'm guessing that the bark is keeping enough moisture in for these things to grow.


 o
RE: Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

Mushrooms are decomposers in the "animal" kingdom. They help to break down dead/dying organic material. The bark retains enough moisture on it's underside that it supports the dampness that the fungi needs to do it's work.

As said above, relax... your bark is being composted and your soil is starting to live...and that's a good thing.

P.S. Of course, you should keep an eye out if you have children on pets that may decide to sample it. If that is a problem, then you can just knock off the fruiting body everytime you see them.

wanda


 o
RE: Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

The bark you added to your soil is doing exactly what is intended to do. It is making your soil friable and moisture retentive, feeding microbes which in turn will feed the earthworms which will help maintain the needed air in the soil. Certainly a win/win result for your garden. Al


 o
RE: Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

thanks!


 o
RE: Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

I too had different types of mushrooms sprouting in my raised beds. I didn't use bark, but assumed the spores came in the soil mix I added to the raise beds. I just pull them out and discard. No harm done.


 o
RE: Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

Mushroom. Toadstool. Whatever type it is. Don't eat it. But like all fungi, mushrooms are the fruiting parts of the fungus. The spores may have been on the bark. Or in the ground. Regardless. I would treat the area with a fungicide. Not knowing what is edible or poisonous is a problem with pets and children. They can always pop them in their mouth.


 o
RE: Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

  • Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 21:45

It was suggested "I would treat the area with a fungicide. "

That would waste time and dollars. Don't bother.


 o
RE: Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

I had mushrooms in my lasgna bed for about two weeks. At first they really rattled me because there were so many. I'd furiously tug them out every morning. But then I gave up, and they just went away. (So did the little flies)


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here