Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat58_gw

Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

kat58
15 years ago

A few months ago we put some red bark in our flowerbeds, now I am having problems with mushrooms. They are only growing in one particular bed where I have a some Lavender, two Calla Lilly and off to the side a Rose bush. I first started seeing mushrooms a few weeks ago around one of the Calla Lilly and dug them out. This morning I spotted a huge mushroom between my rose bush and the other Calla Lilly. How do I get rid of them?

Here are a couple of pics

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=u37a775.9vldj4g1&Uy=6487l3&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0amp;UV=689657767225_158560246209&localeid=en_US

Comments (10)

• ltecato
    15 years ago

It won't do any good to just dig them out, because the visible part (mushroom) is only the reproductive portion of the fungus. It's like chopping of a weed's flower and expecting the whole plant to die. The main part of the fungus is probably growing in, under or around the wood chips you put down.

I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm just guessing that to get rid of the fungus you might try: 1) taking out the wood chips 2) watering less 3) applying fungicide or 4) a combination of these measures.

You didn't say whether the fungus was harming your other plants. If it's not causing trouble, it might be best left alone.

• jean001
    15 years ago

The mushroom is *not* a problem. It's the "flowering" portion of a common fungus. Neither the mushroom nor the fungus are a problem.

The mushroom is there because everything it requires came together at the correct time
    -- the common, non-damaging fungus
    -- suitable temperature
    -- suitable moisture conditions

You may not see more for months, possibly years.

So, relax and enjoy what nature does naturally in gardens, yards, landscape, and the forests.

• kat58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just think this is so strange! Before we put the bark in the ground was very hard and dry. I would have to really soak it good in order to dig a hole to plant and the only thing that liked it were the weeds lol! It's been hot here, in the 90s-100s and I only water that area as needed so I'm guessing that the bark is keeping enough moisture in for these things to grow.

• wanda
    15 years ago

Mushrooms are decomposers in the "animal" kingdom. They help to break down dead/dying organic material. The bark retains enough moisture on it's underside that it supports the dampness that the fungi needs to do it's work.

As said above, relax... your bark is being composted and your soil is starting to live...and that's a good thing.

P.S. Of course, you should keep an eye out if you have children on pets that may decide to sample it. If that is a problem, then you can just knock off the fruiting body everytime you see them.

wanda

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

The bark you added to your soil is doing exactly what is intended to do. It is making your soil friable and moisture retentive, feeding microbes which in turn will feed the earthworms which will help maintain the needed air in the soil. Certainly a win/win result for your garden. Al

• kat58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks!

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

I too had different types of mushrooms sprouting in my raised beds. I didn't use bark, but assumed the spores came in the soil mix I added to the raise beds. I just pull them out and discard. No harm done.

• toyo2960
    15 years ago

Mushroom. Toadstool. Whatever type it is. Don't eat it. But like all fungi, mushrooms are the fruiting parts of the fungus. The spores may have been on the bark. Or in the ground. Regardless. I would treat the area with a fungicide. Not knowing what is edible or poisonous is a problem with pets and children. They can always pop them in their mouth.

• jean001
    15 years ago

It was suggested "I would treat the area with a fungicide. "

That would waste time and dollars. Don't bother.

• altadenafoothills
    15 years ago

I had mushrooms in my lasgna bed for about two weeks. At first they really rattled me because there were so many. I'd furiously tug them out every morning. But then I gave up, and they just went away. (So did the little flies)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!