Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Back Coneflowers, Black Eyed Susans

Posted by diane6766 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 27, 06 at 13:40

I planted my first perennial garden this year, and was quite pleased with the results. However, my coneflowers and black eyed susans are starting to look very scraggly. When is the best time to cut them back in our SoCal climate? I had one black-eyed susan that grew way too big (and also was covered with what looked like powdery mildew?), so I cut it back to just a couple of inches in July, and instead of coming back, it just dried up and died. :-(
Thanks!
Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Back Coneflowers, Black Eyed Susans

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 28, 06 at 11:22

Hi Diane-
It kind of depends on your personal garden style. If you are a neatnik, you will want to cut them to the ground when they hit the scraggly, past bloom stage so they don't detract from the rest of your garden composition.

From my perspective, the scraggly flower heads are part of the transitional season that I appreciate, and I tend to leave the dry flower heads in place for awhile, allowing birds to feed on them. Then when I do cut them to the ground some weekds later, they are very dry and it's easy to scatter the seed where I want more plants for next summer.

If powdery mildew is established on echinacea and rudbeckia, it's probably best to cut to the ground and discard the trimmings, to avoid it spreading further.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here