Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I get more than one season/year out of vinca?

Posted by HappyinmyGarden1000 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 13:41

Can I somehow over-winter vinca? I have a very attractive and full vinca border and hate to pull it out. If I cut it back later this fall/early winter, will it over-winter and come back for spring/summer color next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I get more than one season/year out of vinca?

It may depend on what kind of winter we have. If I were you, however, I'd consider the possibility of leaving them intact over the winter. I'd watch what happens, but wait till spring to cut them back. That way, if you get dieback, you'll at least have something to cut off that you didn't want to keep anyway.
That said, because it's an annual (we're talking catharanthus--vinca rosea--not vinca minor, as in periwinkle/creeping myrtle, right?), even if it survives, it may not be as lovely and floriferous as it was this year. Stems get woody, and plants do get tired and bloomed out, especially if they've set seed.

Kay

o

I have one that overwintered this year. I didn't pinch it back at all.
Renee

o

I have a couple that i've had for several years,as parts die off i just cut those parts off,doesn't seem to bother them,they come back every year.
Kathi

o

I'm in the Bay Area and Vinca with purple flowers sprouted up in a portion of our yard a few years ago and they are impossible to get rid of. They come back even with Round-up. So yours are probably quite hardy as well.

o

Even when I pull mine out, volunteers pop up in the spring. Yay, free plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here