Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Container plant ideas for Spanish front porch

jenn
12 years ago

We have a Spanish style home with an arcade front porch that faces south. I'm looking for plant ideas for a large container (or group of 3) below the porch light mounted on the wall near the front door.

The porch is covered overhead and faces south. It is blocked from morning sun, then gets mostly mid-to-late afternoon sun in summer, and earlier sun in winter when the sun is lower. Being under the porch roof, it doesn't get sun directly overhead.

Our front yard was re-landscaped early last year, with the lawn replaced by plants and the look is quite "showy" -- therefore, this plant (or group of plants) doesn't need to be showy itself. Plants in the front yard include Blue Fescue, Salvia leucantha, Gazania, Daylilies, Kangaroo Paw, Lavender, Rosemary, Phormium. The plants along the walkway to the front door include giant Liriope.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for plants that are not very thirsty and can tolerate a week or two without water during summer vacations,

Comments (6)

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Already found one: A had a small Dracaena Marginata in a pot on the patio, too small for that spot but almost just right for the porch under the light. I put it inside a larger dark blue accent pot. Now I'd like a couple of smaller ones for a nice grouping.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Jenn, I imagine you posting this query, then getting all enthusiastic about shopping for your new porch plants and heading straight out the door! The dracena sounds pretty. I think they look great in pots. I have ivy as the spiller in most of my pots- I like the small leafed,variegated varieties. Wire plant is neat too, but it crowds out the other plants faster than the ivy does. I use blue fescue a lot for the filler. Echeverrias will do well on the back side of the pot where it is shady, and some varieties will spill down.

Renee

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Funny Renee! Actually I didn't run out shopping yet... just moved a plant from the patio to the porch. :-) Thanks for the suggestions!

• nanabelle
    12 years ago

Jenn: I am in SoCal and have a spanish style home with an arcade, also, but mine faces north. I had a Dracaena by my front door for years until it grew too tall. Then it went to the backyard until it grew too tall for the overhang by the back door. I think that is a perfect choice for your (and mine) architecture.

I hate to get rid of these "old friends", so I had to put it in a hidden corner. I also had what I think is called Dumb Cane under my porch light. It has now grown too large and is in my hidden corner.

I have a very large Mother-in-law's tongue by the front door which has bloomed once in 12 years. It has the most delightful fragrance. It compliments the architecture, also.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Agave attenuata and the usual succulents such as Echeveria would be other good plants. The variegated A. attenuatas are much slower growing and more beautiful than the species, which is already beautiful itself. A little sun is plenty.

There are many very colorful Echeverias available that provide year round color and also the flowers are hummingbird magnets. They do well in much shade. 'Burro Tail' Sedum morganianum is another idea.

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hoovb -- why do I always forget to consider succulents?!
    They're perfect for that spot, and low water. We have some in the patio and could move some of those to the front porch without having to buy new ones. Thanks for the ideas.