Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedmac

veggie garden new season

hi all -
i'm starting to think about pulling out my summer veggies. tomatoes aren't flowering as much and are huge and all over the place (but maybe i should fertilize and see if i can get another few tomatoes?), zucchini is huge and not producing very well (ditto?). is it time? or too early? when do you all start your winter veggies?

i've got shallots, leeks, parsley and kale starting from seed in my dome so they should be ready in october to plant in the garden....

what are your socal vegetable garden schedules?

Comments (4)

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

This is the time of year I bury tomato stems up to the new foliage that looks good so the part under the soil grows roots. Once I see lots of sturdy new growth I cut the old part and pull it. Those become winter tomatoes (so much easier than cutting and rooting.)

I picked up a few more tomato starters today, too. I couldn't resist. And some lollipop kale (kale/ brussels sprout hybrid.)

My black cherry and chocolate cherry tomatoes are going strong- maybe even better than earlier this season. I need to relocate some volunteers from under the plants. The Cherokee Purple and Costoluto Genovese have lots of flowers, the Summer Set and Heatwave have lots of not yet ripe fruit and seem to be setting new ones readily.

Listada de Gandia eggplants are producing heavily. Herbs look great except the sage, not sure why yet.

I planted 42 pepper plants this year and many are still producing like mad. I've pulled a few that I've pickled, dried, sauced and canned so many of that I just don't need any more but most are staying.

The two biggest problems I'm having right now are lack of space since I don't want to pull anything and a really destructive skunk that has killed a few pepper plants but digging them completely out and leaving them on top of the soil. Hopefully the beneficial nematodes I'll be adding to the soil this week will handle the grub population and that will handle the skunk (and raccoon,) problem.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great idea about the tomatoes - I don't have room to do it, but might try taking a cutting...and going for some winter tomatoes. I have very limited square footage so trying to time it to maximize veggie production.

I'm going to fertilize everything and see if that will help jumpstart the tomatoes for September - the plants are enormous and have produced well, but maybe the heat is slowing them down. that, and i'll get my seeds started. I'm anxious to get peas going but waiting until October.

Do you start pulling things out and replacing with winter greens/peas/etc around October? or even later?

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

I don't pull anything that is still producing that we aren't sick to death of (and even then sometimes.) I have room for a few more 4x8 raised beds so I just keep adding.

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

A few weeks ago I pulled all the squashes and replanted... in case we have a warm Fall. I planted beans a few days ago, and will put in the Winter peas in a couple of weeks.

Veda, I like your idea of rooting some tops. The Cherry tomatoes are all bushy tops at the end of long, empty stalks, and few tomatoes.

This must have been the year for Peppers. I too have just about used up my need for more Habaneros, which are still being quite prolific. I have a lot of Anaheims too, but those I'll freeze for lots of winter meals. Maybe it's that smelly fertilizer I've been giving them. ;-)