Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with bulbs/lilies? why won't they DIE?

Posted by cottagecindy 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 14:19

ok, here's the deal. I pulled out all old plants, (there were not many) at one end of the small area (it's 2' deep along driveway/house on the north side) I yanked lily looking plant (no flower tho) and lots of them. some can up with a huge bulb like garlic one, others a small round bulb like an onion. I even took out lots 9f dirt and replaced it with better soil. I then put gypsum in soil, it was clay. then planted camellias, and azaleas and then put bark under them. now I'm constantly (like every other day!!) pulling the thin green tops poking out ( I dig out down to the bulb if I can (some break off and I can't FIND the bottom grr)
anyone have this issue? what is going to keep these pests from returning? should I have put down fabric blocker????
Losing my mind.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with bulbs/lilies? why won't they DIE?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 16:36

You have a picture of the foliage? How deep down did you dig? Sounds like the bulb-like things were deeper than you expected.

Fabric blocker is not useful in garden beds. Weeds simply grow on top of the fabric. Where it IS useful is under gravel paths, in order to keep the gravel and soil separate.

o
RE: help with bulbs/lilies? why won't they DIE?

I can take a pic of the next one I pull, which I'm sure is there now, but it sounds like each time i see one I'll just dig it up, making sure i get the bulb. But will it "spread" or stay contained in the bulbs that I yank/dig up ? I know the wild iris -the ones with purple orange top are everywhere and impossible to kill. but hopefully I can keep these under control. :[ (I had to dig out a 5' long by 4' deep to get agave out--even a piece would restart a plant. now THAT was a nightmare!)
I do remember them when I moved in, no flowers at all. Bright green. stood about 1 foot tall.
and obviously you are right about the fabric blocker. these things are coming up under the bark, and on north side of house, so I guess the buggers don;t even need sun to rise from the deep. (I'm sure they are a beautiful plant, just NOT in my azaleas and camellias )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here