Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering trees

Posted by kristie_2007 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 14:49

I removed my lawn on my cities Cash for Grass program. I still have two trees that I need to water. I have a fruitless pear and a 20 year old magnolia. I have put a drip system around them but how much water to give them is very confusing when I look for an answer online. I know I should put 2 gallon emitters on them but I am not sure how many. How do you calculate how much water they need?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering trees

Because tree roots spread out widely and because the majority of the feeder roots - those that transport water - are located just under the soil surface, a drip system is not the most efficient. If that's your only choice, you need multiple emitters for each tree spaced equidistant around the trunk but in the middle to outside edge of the dripline.

During the growing season, trees need 5 gallons of water per week per inch diameter of the trunk - i.e., a 3" caliper tree needs 15 gallons. During the dormant or winter season, you may need to water only during extended dry periods or 10 gallons per tree once a month or so. If rainfall is adequate, perhaps not even that.

o

Last year a friend decided to hire a gardener to remove his lawn. The gardener decided the easiest way to do it was to simply cover the lawn with landscape fabric and top that with mulch to achieve a uniform look, ignoring the lawn trees. This spring when the winter rains stopped my friend noticed the leaves on one tree were all dying and falling off. She came to me and asked what could be wrong. It was pretty obvious that a tree planted in the lawn 20 years was dependent on the lawn water. To save the tree I made a loop of T-Tape at the drip line and put it on a drip timer until she hires a landscaper to actually remove the dead lawn. The tree has comeback while the cheap landscape fabric has turned to dust and the weeds are now growing after the first rain. The lesson is the cheapest remedy is not always the best. Al

o

Thank you for the valuable information

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here