Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

Good Fall Color?

aimeekitty
12 years ago

Hey folks, things are cooling off just a bit and I'm ready to start thinking about some cool-season planting...

Does anyone have any suggestions for fool proof fall color in Southern California? I'd love something that changes its leaf color or would be blooming now or through the fall/winter.

I'm open to suggestions as to what I can plant NOW, but also to things I should plant some other time so that I can get fall color next year. (please specify...?)

My garden had a lot of trouble due to irrigation system problems this past summer so I'd really like to give it some fresh life now that I have time to get things fixed.

My zone is 9-10, sw 18. inland southern california.

alkaline clay soil.

Comments (7)

• bahia
    12 years ago

There are many, many possibilities for both deciduous fall foliage color as well as fall into winter flowering shrubs, perennials, trees and vines for sunset zone 18 locations. Get yourself a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book which has excellent lists of plants for fall color, fall or winter bloom, shrubs, vines, flowering trees, etc. Depending on what some of your other criteria are; such as natives versus exotics, drought tolerance, fast versus slow growth, sun versus shade, etc, you can cross reference between the various lists to come up with plants that fit all parameters. In your zone, there is no reason a fall/winter garden can't be full of color. If you have reasonably good water quality(ie, not Colorado. River water), the South African Leucadendrons and Leucospermums can give great color fall through winter. If your water quality is poor, the South African Aloes are a good alternative. Tons of great succulents are drought tolerant with vividly colorful foliage and/or flowers. I'd suggest that visits to the LA Arboretum and the Huntington Botanic Garden in fall and winter would also be great places to visit to get ideas as well as see mature sized plants.

• borderbarb
    12 years ago

You might also check out the QUAIL BOTANICAL GARDEN in Encinitas [I refuse to call by new name of San Diego Botanical Garden] .... Also some well-established local nurseries [not big box] will have samples of color foliage and knowleagable staff .... also, check out website of local Native Plant Societies ... usually have question numbers ..... also might take drive/walk through older sections of your town for established plantings with color.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

There is one plant that can get very nice fall color here- Boston ivy. It turns flaming red some years. I have seen the common, green leafed Japanese Maples go on fire if we get a good cold snap in the fall. Usually mine just turn brown, though. People plant Liquidamabar for the fall color.

You'll get lots of yellow and brown foliage on your roses this fall, Aimee. (Heh heh heh). I don't think we usually get enough of a chill in the fall to produce a good show of fall foliage.

The roses will give you a fall hurrah, and so will the reblooming irises. Pyracantha looks lovely all year, but it looks especially great in the winter when it gets the red berries and then in the spring when it blooms.

Renee

• bahia
    12 years ago

Foolproof fall foliage can always be had with the Liqidambar, Chinese Pistache, Gingko, Cotinus coggygria. Not a stretch at all to get good fall into winter bloom, for large/tall things, consider Dahlia imperialis, Montanoa grandiflora, Iochroma, Anigozanthus, Cestrum newelii, many of the Mexican cloudforest Salvias spp's, Tecoma x smithii, natives such as Arctostaphylos and Ceanothus and Ribes spp's, bulbs such as Chasmanthe floribunda ducktii, Watsonia hybrids, Veltheimia bracteata, Clivea. A full range of vines such as Jasminum polyanthum, Hardenbergia, Passiflora spp's, Gelsemium, Abutilons, Camellia sasanqua are some to consider. If you're thinking more along the lines of fall/ winter berries and fruits, our native Toyon or Japanese Persimmons can't be beat.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I just remembered Little John Callistemon. Nice size, pretty blue-green foliage, you can prune it into all kinds of shapes or let it grow naturally, and it currently has nice dark red flowers.

• jenn
    12 years ago

Lots of Salvias: S. leucantha is just now starting again, along with Salvia elegans. Salvia 'Indigo Spires' and the greggii's and microphyllas never seems to stop. Salvia 'Anthony Parker' will begin very soon.

Based on your zone and soil type, it sounds like we live nearby. I'll send you an email from your profile page.

• jenn
    12 years ago

Oh - and citrus! Our tangerine tree is loaded with beautiful fruit every winter.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio