Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostarasta

Ideas for a stone path

hostarasta
11 years ago

My neighbor and I share a pathway that divides the properties. It is basically small white marble stones (you know, the kind that grass grows through and is difficult to maintain). It looks really bad. Neither one of us has much $$, but I have the time and could work on it. I was thinking of some garden stepping stones (about 12 x 12). Unfortunately, the path doesn't really lead to anywhere special, but it could look a lot better.

Any other economical, creative ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• peachymomo
    11 years ago

Does it have to stay straight? If this were my space I would dig the whole thing out and then change the flow so that there was a path that curved around areas with rocks and/or plants. Having something at the end would be a big improvement, there are many things that could be added to create a destination - a bench, a vine covered trellis, some form of garden art, or a fountain would be a great addition.

I had a straight dirt footpath along the front of my property and I changed it to a path that curved around some flower beds and trees. My space is larger than yours but I think you could do something similar, perhaps a stepping stone path curving around small groups of stone with a few plants tucked in.

Here is my path in the spring when the daffodils were blooming:
    {{gwi:518046}}

I think with some creativity and elbow grease you can turn your little path into a thing of beauty!

• peachymomo
    11 years ago

I forgot to recommend that you go to local landscape supply companies (not nurseries, but the big places where you can get truckloads of rock and dirt) and check out their products and prices. Local field stone is usually affordable, especially if you are willing to haul it home in small loads in the back of your car or truck. Sometimes you can get a really good deal on things that have been discontinued and they don't have much of, a friend of mine saved a lot of money on her new cobblestone driveway that way. Shop around and you might find something really special.

Good luck!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Is that a path that goes anywhere, or is it just a divider between the properties? Do you really need it in the first place? What about a low hedge as a divider instead?

I've found flagstones (natural flat stones available at ston yards) are just a few dollars each, even cheaper than the plain concrete, and pretty stone looks better than plain concrete. Get ones thick enough to hold up to being walked on, but small enough to lift. Lift carefully and always protect your back.

Site preparation is important. If you want it to look good for an extended period of time, prepare the area and really get rid of all the weeds/grass first. If you don't prepare well, it's going to look icky again in a few months.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Weeds between the rocks, any kind of rocks, is a real pain. I would remove a couple of inches of what is there now and level it with 2 inches of sand. On top of the sand I would use a commercial grade of weed fabric, not that flimsy stuff from the garden center. Then a nice bed of decomposed granite, on top of which use what ever decorative stones you like which will imbed into the granite and give a firm footing. This would also be a good time to replace the wood curbing with something longer lasting. Al

• Bob_B
    11 years ago

The "path" where it is and such as it is doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Why not another solution: extend your existing lawn to cover the path; plant a row of shrubs to divide the properties.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

It looks like it used to be a rose bed with rock mulch, but the plants died.

I'm with Bob. Since it is a "path" to nowhere, it doesn't need to exist. I'd remove the rocks and let the grass grow. That's a heck of a lot of work, but it will be much easier to maintain and it would look better.

Renee

• hostarasta
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All this time I thought no one answered! Turns out I had to allow answers to be emailed to me. Thank you to all of you who answered.

• Sean
    11 years ago

Why don't you plant some shrubs that will grow 3-4ft tall, then you can have total separation and some privacy between the properties. :) Split the cost for the plants, or wait until bare-root rose season, go to the local home depot or lowes, get about 6 of them for $5 bucks each, and make that a rose bed, keeping the marble rocks in place surrounding the roses!

Best wishes,
    Sean