Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haloheaven988

Help with Avocado tree - blotches on leaves

haloheaven988
11 years ago

I am a home gardener in Orange County, and planted an avocado tree in my yard just 2 months ago. The tree was purchased from a reputable nursery, and currently stands about 6 feet tall (I don't know how many years old that makes it).

It was perfectly healthy when planted. I just started noticing reddish-brown blotches on many of the leaves, on older leaves as well as newer leaves, and do not know the cause. I am aware of salinity issues in the soil causing tip burn, but I am not sure the symptoms I am seeing are the same as other pictures I have seen that are representative of salinity-caused tip burn. I am attaching a few pictures here so you can see. FYI, the burn spots you see in the lawn in the 2nd picture are from dog urine, not some other problem ;-).

Here are some other facts you should know about the avocado tree:

- The tree is planted on the east side of our house, and receives mostly morning/early afternoon sun.

- When the tree was planted, an approximately 3-foot diameter "hole" was excavated from our lawn, and good quality garden soil was used to fill the hole, in addition to a 50-lb. bag of sand (for good drainage). A few inches of compost mulch was added.

- The trunk and exposed branches have been whitewashed.

- Watering is on the same schedule as our lawn, since it is in the middle of our lawn and uses the same sprinklers (M-W-F for 15 minutes). In addition, I also give it a deep watering once a week, not only for additional water requirements but also in hopes it would help leach any salt build-up in the soil.

- After doing a bit of research on avocado care, I just applied gypsum the other day (I don't know whether this will do anything for the problem or not).

- I have not applied any other fertilizer since being planted.

What could possibility be the cause? Could it be salinity problems (according to the water quality report from our water utility, the sodium content in our water is 95 ppm)? Could it be sunburn, considering the intense heat we have been having over the last month? Some other issue?

I would appreciate any advice!

Comments (9)

• haloheaven988
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For some reason the 2nd picture didn't post, I'm attaching it here.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

They don't like being transplanted in hot weather. You chose a tough time to transplant for a tree- the hottest part of the year. That may be why the leaves are burning.

I have never seen an avocado tree successfully grown in a lawn before, but that doesn't really mean much. I do know that they do not like their roots disturbed at all, and their feeder roots are very shallow, from the surface of the soil down to about a foot. The well around the tree should extend out beyond the tips of the branches, because that's where they collect their water- from the drip line. Three feet does not sound like it will work for long. They prefer to be heavily mulched, and I leave all of the leaves under the tree for that purpose. They don't strike me as a great lawn tree, since they need a thick leaf mulch to keep their feeder roots cool.

Good luck!
    Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Looks very typical for a young Avocado planted in summer, or for a young Avocado period--as Renee says they have sensitive root systems. Sunburn common when not established. Sometimes even when established. Probably combo of heat and being young. If you have a patio umbrella drag it over and shade the tree until the heat passes.

Yes long term Avocados are not a great lawn tree. They cast heavy deep dark shade--the lawn eventually dies from lack of light.

Drainage can also be a problem in a lawn. Avocados want moisture but drainage at the same time, which is why Avocado fruits are kind of expensive--you are paying for lots of water. If you note where the Irvine Company has planted Avocados, it is on the slopes in the foothills. They need excellent drainage.

I planted a new 'Reed' about 4 months ago, a bit of sunburn the past few days, but not bad, a very thick mulch (4-6") helps, but make sure the mulch is fluffy or chunky so that air can get to the root system--you do not want to smother the root system.

• haloheaven988
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so far for the pointers...I actually made a mistake in my original post about the 3-foot diameter hole - it's actually a 3-foot RADIUS, so I should've said 6-foot diameter hole (with no grass underneath, just good soil and mulch). Given this fact, would you say it is still considered a "lawn tree"?

I don't plan on allowing the tree to get too big to where it will shade the lawn that much. It is near a wall that separates our yard from the neighbors, so I will need to prune it so that it doesn't hang over into our neighbor's yard (don't worry, we buried plastic along the wall side so that the roots can't pass through and destroy the wall...hopefully it will send the roots deeper down, as opposed to staying near the surface).

Hoov - you're a genius. I've been trying to think of a way I could provide shade until the head passes...I didn't even think about putting a patio umbrella there....good thinking!

As for the time of year it was planted, Sunset magazine actually recommends that May and June are the ideal times of year to plant avocados. I snuck right in that window by planting it the last week of June. That's the main reason why I chose this time of year.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

It sounds like you really thought ahead. Six feet sounds much better! If you can get it through this heat wave it should be fine.
    Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Keep in mind roots don't really go deep down. That is because roots need oxygen as much as they need water. Only tap-rooted plants go deep, and even then, there will be surface roots as well. Something like 90% of all plant roots are in the top 18" of soil. By "deep down" is meant 3" below the surface, which is okay for lawns. But you can keep Avocados small for sure, that is what I am doing with the Reed. Unless you need to feed the neighborhood, a small Avocado eventually produces enough for you to get sick of eating them pretty quick.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Amen. Two Hass for one person is a bit of overkill :)

• number2
    11 years ago

Haloheaven, I had similar prob w my Stwert Avocado when I first got it 3 yrs ago. Tried diff methods and eventually the burnt tip went away w more frequent watering and a super thick mulch underneath to protect the root.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

We have the Fuerte which starts to ripen in Dec and goes through at least March, (it was labelled as a Haas, but Fuerte is good too) and now the Reed which will give us fruit in July-> September. A few for 7 or 8 months of the year, with some breaks in between so we don't get burnt out on them--better than a lot all at once.

Though if you have a lot, check with a local charity food bank--don't waste, feed people, share the wealth... :)