Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green fruit beetles

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 16:36

We have a compost pile, covered with burlap, about 15 feet away from a yellow summer squash tucked between some roses. The squash is growing in a hole that will be occupied by a rose I'll plant this fall. Anyway, I saw a pair of green fruit beetles mating under the leaf of the nearby 'Angel Face' rose, LOL. These beetles are those big (>1") metalic-green beetles that hatch from larvae this time of year. I haven't seen any of the larvae in the pile, but surely they are somewhere nearby.

Anyone with experience know any tried-and-true tips for getting rid of them? Fortunately, I haven't seen them in any other areas of our yard; they seem to be hanging out near the compost pile, which I understand is their pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green fruit beetle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green fruit beetles

The grubs make compost for you. Why do you want to get rid of them? I feed them to my chickens. That's a good way to get rid of them.

Renee

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 16:33

I want to get rid of the beetles, not the grubs. There aren't many but they are an annoyance when I walk through their "territory" in the back corner. Next time I see a pair mating underneath a leaf of one of our roses, maybe I'll shoot 'em with a strong jet of water from the hose.

o

They fly quite slowly and are not very good at evading capture, which makes them easy to squish. The grubs, however, are excellent composters.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 12:01

Yes, they are slow. I set a pot on top of one at the edge of the compost pile... I expected it to fly away when the pot got closer, but it just sat there like a statue.

o

So that's what they are! We had a few flying around maybe 10 years ago, never saw them again until this summer.
They scare the crap out of me, flying low, bumping into things. What's up with that? When around they're constantly slamming into the fence, the house, us, circling around dazed. Comical actually, if they didn't also dive bomb us.
Seem to hang out between our house and the one next door and don't know why since neither of us have fruit, veggies or compost.
Are they a seasonal thing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here