Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can calibrachoa be perennial?

Posted by alladrm 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 16:36

My calibrachoa have pretty much stopped blooming - I'm assuming because of the heat. But once it cools off some, will they come back? How about if they don't freeze this winter - will they bloom next spring? Do they ever reseed?
Or maybe I just need to pull them up and replace with what?

I know, it's several questions but I'm hoping someone will educate me in everything I need to know about these lovely flowers in my zone.

Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can calibrachoa be perennial?

Calibrachoa is a tender South American perennial. You could think of it as a tomato plant.

With little stress -- undo summer heat and dryness and extreme winter cold -- it'll peter out much as a true annual.

But with comfortable summers and not-overly-frosty winters, it will continue for more than a year, much as it does in its South American home.

I have friends who've kept Calibrachoas three years. Up until last winter, that is.

Joe

o

I have a peach one and a white one, both in large containers with other plants and they even went right through last winter. This is their 4th year.
They look ugly in winter, but I just prune them back in spring and fertilize them.
My peach one died about a month ago, but I think I may have overwatered it.

If yours has stopped blooming, you might want to give it some fertilizer. I gave mine MaxSea once or twice a month.

wanda

o

Thank you Joe and Wanda. I'm going to try to overwinter them. Speaking of which, I have a coleus that survived outside last winter (in spite of three straight days of freezing weather) and this year it's a giant!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here