Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobluedjm

Ceanothus carmel creeper

gobluedjm 9/18 CA
13 years ago

Below is a pic of my carmel creeper with just one branch dieing off. Its 3.5 years in the ground and 12+ feet wide.

The branch is still very firm not soft and squishy.

Further out on the branch where it's dead it isn't black and you can see 2 smaller branches growing out of the black...but I expect them to die off also.

The rest of the plant is all very healthy.

I've been searching on this black damage and found nothing.

Anybody know what could be wrong?

I guess I should cut the 4 feet off since dead probably a couple inches back into green.

I am very surprised it did this well in my zone.

{{gwi:555376}}

Comments (14)

• gardenguru1950
    13 years ago

Cenaothus does get a couple of stem canker diseases as well as borers, all of which would lead to symptoms as seen in your photo.

Joe

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, thanks Joe. This all happened in just a few days.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I planted 50 Carmel Creeper here in 1990 to cover a bare bank having a few Douglas firs and a lot of weeds. I planted them 6 feet apart with the rain in the fall. I could only afford to buy them in liners(papers actually)because I needed so many. The ground froze in December 1990 and forced some out of the ground. I lost some because I was not living on the property. They grew well up to about four feet covering the ground well and preventing most weeds and not requiring summer water. Only once did the deer eat them, taking about 2 feet off the top, which I think actually was a benefit. Wild blackberry got started in some of them and no matter how careful I sprayed the blackberry some got on the ceanothus and was very effective at killing them. They are easy to start from cuttings and I keep some ready in one gallon size to replace plants lost. I have never had your problem but would cut it out if I did. Al

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A1, what did you start the cuttings in? I've read sand or sand and peat or peat and perlite in 2 native books I have.
    I want to take some cuttings from my tessajara blue.
    I did cut off about 5 feet back a few inches from the damage. I am going to take your advice on taking cuttings of it. I've also read to keep moist of course and cover with plastic bag.

Any advice on starting cuttings would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

13 years ago

I use tip cuttings about 6 inches long removing all but one or two leaves at the tip, which will be small. I start four in a square four inch plastic pot. I use a mix of 80% perlite and 20% peat. I use four bamboo sticks about a foot long and tent with a clear plastic bread wrapper. A rubber band goes around the pot sealing the plastic to the pot. I keep the pot on a 70 degree bottom heat. Every other day I remove the tent and turn it inside out removing excess moisture from condensation which is likely to cause mold on the soil. Put the bag back on. After about a month you may notice the plastic is no longer condensing on the inside. This is a sign the mix is getting dry. While the plastic is off set the pot in a water bath for a couple of minutes. Do not assume you are growing roots for at least 2 months. You should see some new leaves growing but that does not mean you have roots. With a little practice a tug on the cutting will tell you if you have roots. If you pull one with no roots just put it right back. I always use a weak hormone #1 in most brands. I do most of my cuttings in the winter. Al

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK thank you!
    So you water from the bottom then.
    I just happen to have everything I need with a little too much fall heat so will wait a few weeks.
    Tessajara blue is already showing buds so will have to be careful and use the interior branches for cuttings.

• tressa
    13 years ago

This dying off has happened to a couple of my ceanothus. I am assuming it is a disease as Joe stated. I just cut mine off. I am wondering, however, if it could be lack of water, as this seems to only happen during our 100 degree summers here in Temecula. What would you say, Joe?

• tdadi2
    8 years ago

Hello, I planted my ceanothus last august 2014 on a small slope and was pleased to see them take root and flower in spring 2015. Then suddenly when the temperature got in 100deg, within one week the plants started dying. AT first I thought it was lack of water, but now I am not sure. I shut off the water last week to see if that helps.

Any suggestions?

• CA Kate z9
    8 years ago

It's probably just too hot - and dry air - for this variety.

8 years ago

It probably is too hot, but I would water. Your plants have only been in the ground for a few months and need more roots to take such high temps. Al

• tdadi2
    8 years ago

Thanks, but this is really confusing. I was reading that these plants do not like hot wet soil in the summer. When I recognize that they were being stressed (yellow leaves) I increased the water for one week but they continue to dry up. Two of the plants are bone dry, I think they are dead. the other three plants have a few yellow leaves. I guess I will try watering once every week. I was watering twice a week.

• tdadi2
    8 years ago

I reside in the Pittsburg/Antioch area of California. Do you think that these plants are not suited for my area? My landscape design person recommended them for me?

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    8 years ago

They're hard to get started. They need some water until they are established, but they don't like to be soaking wet. I've found that it is best to water around the plant, keeping the water away from the trunk. I fill the planting hole a couple of times and let it drain, then water once a week for a month, then monthly for the first year, but I lose a few.

Also, check the undersides of the leaves for aphids.

• tdadi2
    8 years ago

Wow, thanks guys.. all your inputs has been eye opening. I will replace the dead ones and try your suggestions. Thanks again..