Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
These are NOT carnations! But what are they??

Posted by sooz z9/So Cal (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 17:46

I ordered some Carnation Giant Chaboud's Mixed carnation seeds hoping to have wonderfully fragrant flowers.

Here's what we got growing in the flower barrel (see pix) after we planted the seeds. There is a close up of the tiny flowers, measuring about 1/4 inch or less. Nope, not a carnation...but what is it we were growing so carefully? I told DH that carnation leaves do not look like what we had, but he said "Let's see what we have." Okaaaaay.

I know these are NOT carnations! ...but what are we growing? I'd like to identify them before I write to the company where I purchased the seeds.

Thanks!

Smiles,
Sooz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: These are NOT carnations! But what are they??

I'd guess some variety of Nicotiana, perhaps x sanderae. Definiely NOT a Carnation.

o

Bummer.

o

Solanum nigrum or a close relative

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 12:24

Hm. ...weeds? Is it possible your seed didn't make it and the weeds blew in? Fall planting is here... :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here