Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate_may_gw

Where to buy indoor trees?

Kate-May
9 years ago

Hello everyone,
I am unfamiliar with California and need your help. Can you please tell me where in Los angeles or Ventura county I can purchase indoor trees like Kentia palms or a 7-8 ft fiddle leaf fig?
I also need a blood good maple for outside. I checked my local nurseries in Bakersfield and their maples were mostly burnt. Do u think I have to wait till march for trees in good shape to arrive or are there other nurseries that I can visit?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (5)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Probably at any garden center you walk into.

Jean
    who gardened in Long Beach, CA, for 30-some years.

• ltecato
    9 years ago

Green Thumb nurseries are usually very well stocked with indoor trees. OSH will have them as well. Then you can hit Home Depot and Lowes.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Be aware that your maple, if you buy one in March and plant it, will also probably be burnt this time of year in Bakersfield no matter where you buy it.

They will look better in March, but will still look like that at the end of August even at the best nurseries.

That's just a result of very hot summer weather and very low humidity.
    There comes a dry air and high temperature point where, even in the shade and well watered, the maple will loose more water vapor through their leaf pores faster than their roots can pull water up from the ground. And so then you get tip burning.

Also the municipal water in the central valley is on the higher ph side, with a lot of mineral salts, and that contributes to tip burn too.

Good news is it happens mostly on younger trees. As a Japanese maple gets older it tends to adapt to the heat and dry air. But even older trees will burn a bit after a really long heat wave.

Btw, welcome to California!

• Kate-May
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. I had the least luck when checking with Lowes or Home depot for indoor trees, for the past two months. I couldn't find the perfect shape trees in there.
    and thank you BarbJP regarding all the info about maples. I figured this out that in Bakersfield heat hurts maples, and my husband came up with the idea of setting a mister/ humidifier at roof level for the tree and we will place it where it is mostly in shade. So we might succeed in preventing it from getting burnt.
    But do u suggest then that I buy the tree now rather than in march?

• Kate-May
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. I had the least luck when checking with Lowes or Home depot for indoor trees, for the past two months. I couldn't find the perfect shape trees in there.
    and thank you BarbJP regarding all the info about maples. I figured this out that in Bakersfield heat hurts maples, and my husband came up with the idea of setting a mister/ humidifier at roof level for the tree and we will place it where it is mostly in shade. So we might succeed in preventing it from getting burnt.
    But do u suggest then that I buy the tree now rather than in march?