Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mother-In-Law's Tongue Blooming

Posted by akarinz 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 18:16

I've had this plant for over 20 years. It started blooming last year, but I missed getting a picture. I took one this time and thought I would share with everyone. And the fragrance is breathtaking for a day or two.

Karin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mother-In-Law's Tongue Blooming

I don't think I've ever seen one bloom before. Very nice!

o

I didn't even know they bloomed! I guess I've never had one long enough to have it bloom. Yours looks very healthy. Perhaps that's why it is blooming.

o

I've had them for years and mine didn't bloom either!! I like those blooms and i'm glad you were able to get the picture.TFS
Kathi

o

Before mine got near as full in the pot, I divided it into several pots. Oh well at my age I could not have waited for it to bloom. It is lovely, thanks for the picture. Al

o

Cool! I have never seen that before!

o

You've just given me a reason to grow it!....anything scented.....

o

I'm going to watch for that! How much sun do you give yours?

o

It actually doesn't get any direct sun. But it does get a lot of light. It is outside, as you can probably tell. I have had it in various places around the yard, but never in direct sun.

I am wondering if it started blooming because it is so packed in tight in it's pot.

o

That's one plant that can look really ratty and beat-up, but yours looks beautiful. I checked the Sunset garden book, and if this is "sansevieria trifasciata," shelter from midday sun is recommended. The cactus book says it likes "summer light," so I guess you are meeting it's needs very well. Maybe the plant often looks bad because it's overwatered or in full sun all day.

o

I water mine in the summer once a month. Other times very infrequently, maybe once every 3 months.

o

I water mine in the summer once a month. Other times very infrequently, maybe once every 3 months.

o

Thanks for the photo! I had one in my front yard in Venice (northern exposure - no direct sun), but I do not ever remember seeing it bloom. The huge philodendrons in the front yard bloomed regularly, but not the MIL tongue. Maybe I will get a new one for my house in Westchester.

Lars

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 13:04

Very cool! Thanks for sharing the photo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here