Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

hot in california..

They say record breaking for the central valley...just real hot in the bay are. Nice,after a weak and tepid August and September here in the bay area.

Comments (20)

• cottagecindy
    11 years ago

you must be inland? it was supposed to be "hot" today, but along the peninsula it is just pleasant. --microclimates-- :)

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

Weak and tepid Aug and Sept? Oh, poor thing....I'd trade any day.

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

I usually look forward to Fall, but this year I'm just tired of the heat.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its been a strong difference in nor and sou cal summer's. I mean the bay area hasn't had a upper 80f day since June,and I just heard the "extreme" heat warning for inland norcal was cancelled. Here,in the bay area..just another summer day as I write..not hot.
    A summer with no heatwaves in the SF bay area. Microclimates is right!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

We have had a couple of weeks of spring like weather, highs in the 70s. Now we will have about a week in the mid 80s. Pretty normal for our area in the hills west of Calistoga. Al

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

Amazing...and we're in for triple digits again the next several days. It has been highly unusual down here...

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

The garden was just starting to come back to life after the August and September heat waves, but I think it will be set back again by this one. Pity- I was hoping for a fall flush of roses.
    Renee

• cottagecindy
    11 years ago

ok, I'll update my post. Now that it is Monday, it is bloody hot. and no a/c. my roses are still blooming like crazy. hopefully a mild,fast winter?? :)

• jenn
    11 years ago

My vote is for a mild, long winter. Not too frosty (or at all), not too much rain just a nice weekly shower (on the day most convenient for me, LOL), daily highs around the mid-50s. :)

• dicot
    11 years ago

The sun is still intense, but there's finally a hint of chill in the breeze that has mad all the difference for me when outdoors and exercising. Heat still fried the cabbage and bok choi seedlings that even bothered to even sprout this week, gambled wrong there. Can't hate on these Oct ocean temps though, if I'm not at the beach I'm staring longingly at surfcams on some e-device.

No one of my finest years gardening, powdery mildew and heat sapped my interest by the end of July. Hoping I can get back in the groove when Fall really kicks in.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I am wilting myself - it's SO HOT today! It was 102 here on the SF peninsula (in some areas near the foothills). It was like walking into a furnace to go out the door. We don't have A/C but the tiled roof and concrete slab foundation keep it tolerable inside if we close the windows and drapes. My workplace is heavily A/C's so it's a shock to walk out that door into the blasting heat.

Came home to find black eyed susans completely wilted and dead flowers :(

Also my purple coneflowers are dying but they have been doing badly for a month now - one turned black on half the plant and the blooms just turned stiff and desiccated. The other one keeps wilting even when I don't think it needs water, it's also looking pretty sad. I have avoided the temptation to over water and all the other plants (mostly sages, lavenders, and Sun Parasols) are thriving.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

Well, the weather dude here said we may actually get some light rain this coming Tuesday, 6 days from now...oh, I've been fooled and lied to before...don't think I'll hold my breath......lol.

• annemcneill
    11 years ago

I'm probably Sunset Zone 20 (? high hills in La Crescenta) - almost total crop failure this summer: several tomato plants died without bearing fruit, other tomatoes small yield, tomatillos gave up, peppers, eggplants, green beans, even zucc and other squash barely produced. I mulched with straw for the first time - apparently that didn't help, maybe was a bad idea? Anybody else have this kind of disaster this year?

Original Author
    11 years ago

It was a two and a half day heatwave...for the bay area. Would have been nice to have had a few more this summer.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

I'll be sure to put in a request that from now on, you can have my share of those hot days...I could perhaps even pay you to take them.....we still have a few hanging around down here.

• jenn
    11 years ago

Forecast for our area includes a high of 59 and chance of rain this Thursday, then high of 97 the following Monday and Tuesday. Seriously?!? It's typical for October though -- dip a little, then back up but not quite as high... dip some more, back up a little more.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

Our dude says rain late Wed into Thurs and a possible half inch out of it.....I'll stand up and cheer when I see it. I heard it would warm up again, but I must have missed the part about 97 degrees, definitely hope that doesn't happen here. I think I've had all I can take without going postal.....

• jenn
    11 years ago

LOL wcgypsy, the part about 'going postal' made me laugh because everyone is soooo irritated during hot temps, especially with humidity. As soon as the weather cools off, that mood changes like the flip of a switch, LOL.

I saw 97 on a weather site, Wunderground.com, putting in my zip or city name. That forecast is down to 95 now, so I'm hoping that trend will continue and drop even further by next week.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

I've found wunderground to usually be pretty accurate for my area. Now comes our beautiful time of year, the reason we all live here and we find ourselves asking if we really want to move....lol..Yep, flip of a switch.....

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow,I think of Hayward as one of the warmer microclimates in the bay area..and I would guess the Mid May-now (October 12) ave was about 73..down from the not so bad 76-77. And when we have a blessed warm summer..80f seems to rule. Not the last few years.
    Urban or climate change seems to be moderating our temps..more flatline,less peaks and valleys.