Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Suggestions for replacing large phormiums

Bunny
9 years ago

In April I asked about a gigantic phormium I have near my front door (link to thread included). Many of you said, "Get rid of it!!!" I've finally come around to your way of thinking. It was something I had to arrive at myself. :) I also have another monster next to the sidewalk which is just too big. Two others, in the middle of my yard, have kept a more manageable size and they'll stay.

So, I need replacements. The place next to the sidewalk has full sun all day. The place near the front door has morning shade and afternoon sun (west-facing).

Everything has to be drought-tolerant. As for colors, I like white, yellow and magenta/purple. I really dislike orange/coral/tropical colors. I'd prefer something that will make it through the winter looking okay.

At my front door I need something with a little height and width.

At the sidewalk something with a little height and plenty of width. I don't have to totally screen my yard, but I'd like a little visual interruption.

I'm having someone help me so all things are possible. I'd love some suggestions for replacements for the two Godzilla phormiums.

BTW, I'm in Sonoma County, North Bay Area.

Here is a link that might be useful: original thread

Comments (3)