Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado: Sharwil!

Posted by NorCalNiko USDA 9 Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 19:42

Folks,

I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil avocado tree for two years now. I've only found two growers who have them, both are in S. Cal, and neither will ship me one. Ugh! I live in Marin County. Anyone know where I can get one? I've been flogging all the nurseries I know up here, and none of them have ever even heard of it.

Thanks everyone... Patty got me closest last year, but I couldn't make the trip to S. Cal.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado: Sharwil!

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 2:28

Try contacting a wholesale nursery that brokers in plants. If you try someplace like Devil Mountain Nursery and can give them the socal sources, they might be able to accommodate you.

o

As an update... I found a vendor of exotic avocados that carries Sharwil and Jan Boyce. They are located in Santa cruz County. Surprised nobody here knew of it! Epicenter Avocados. http://epicenteravocados.com. I'll take delivery in the Spring, so no news yet as to quality...

o

I can't find anywhere on their site what they charge--did they give you a quote?

Carla in Sac

o

What is so special about Sharwil?

o

'Sharwil' avocados have small seeds and greenish-yellow flesh with a rich, nutty flavor. In Hawaii, many consider 'Sharwil' to be superior to California cultivars and believe it should be marketed as a gourmet item. It accounts for over 50% of the commercial avocados grown in Hawaii, and if you've ever had one over there, you know why you crave them in California. Plus, the tree stays much smaller and more compact than our Haas, which can become the SUV of the avocado tree world :-0 They are superior in every way to a Haas, except they have green skin, which in the commercial produce world can be a detractor for some bizarre reason.

Patty S.

o

There's no quote because they base their costs on cost of inputs, which changes from year to year. They told me it'll be in the $35-40 range.

Patty, they also have Jan Boyce. Very excited.

o

I saw! I gave them a call. I've placed an order for a Nimlioh to place the one that didn't make it for me, as well as a Queen, as I do have a spot up on the top of my hillside that could manage a larger avo. I will still keep everything well-pruned, though, as I don't want SUV's on my slope :-) They are the only other grower in the state of California, besides Bonita Creek that are growing Jan Boyce to my knowledge. THAT, is the "best of the best", so if you haven't ordered one, you might want to consider adding it to your Sharwil. That would then give you an A and a B avocado.

Patty S.

o

I got them both. Considered a Nowels, which I hear are top notch, but I think I'll just stick with the two at least for this year, and see how the two shake out.

I'm a little nervous about the frost factor. We get a few weeks worth of frosty mornings for which I'll have to compensate. It's basically the same as Epicenter, so it's definitely possible...

o

Thanks for the Epicenter Avocado info. Another thread gives their website link. Sounds like a great place, I've bookmarked it for future use. I've been unable to keep avos thru the winter here in Riverside County. Tried twice with big box trees, they froze out both times.

Double thanks for the avo grower info.
Wildrose

o
RE: Avocado Grower

Here is the link -
Wildrose

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.epicenteravocados.com/

o

Just wanted to bump this up and see if everyone got the Avos they ordered, and see what they thought. I ended up just grabbing a lamb hass locally.

o

I got my Sharwil and Jan Boyce. Put them both in mounds. Both are doing great. It's only been maybe two months, so I don't want to be cocky until they've weathered at least one winter...

They're my first avocados, so I have nothing really to compare them to, but both are growing and have sprouted new leaves. They appear to be healthy, knock on wood.

I don't suppose I'll know if they're the correct varieties for at least a couple years, but the Sharwil is definitely a slower grower, as expected. Ellen Baker, the Epicenter owner was very nice and very helpful...

o

Shoot. You got your avos before I did, and I ordered before you did, NorCal. I've emailed Ellen. I hope she hasn't forgotten me. She had to delay the order until late spring, early summer. But, here we are, and no avos, yet. I had ordered a Kona, a Queen and a Hellen.

Patty S.

o

Patty,

Must be due to my overwhelming charm. I barely drooled at all when she said they had Sharwil and Jan Boyce!

I ordered mine in December... Maybe it's because of the varieties ordered?

Niko.

o

Hi Niko,
I'm curious, how are your avos doing now? Did they survive last winter?
And a question for all of you... How much room did you "reserve" in your garden for each tree? My semi dwarf apples are plant 10' apart from each other. Do avocados need more room?
MM

o

Well,l depends on the cultivar, MM. More compact avocados (this is a relative term) can grow in smaller areas, but in general, they are the "SUV's" of the garden :-) Reed is taller and a little more compact. Holiday is probably one of the smaller and decent avocados. I wouldn't bother growing Littlecado (Wertz), poor quality fruit imho. So, try to find smaller, more compact cultivars if you have space limitations. That and some pruning might keep it down in size, but certainly remember they can get big.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of California Avocado Information Site

o

Always something new to learn about!

I would love to hear more about Sharwil, like the size, good pollenators etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here