Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kookoo2

Arctostahylos tree, 10-15 ft high, berkeley yard

kookoo2
12 years ago

I'm looking for your suggestions for a small manzanita that is more like a tree than a shrub (or can be trained that way), won't get more than about 15' and can do well here in Berkeley. The site is slightly sloped, and gets good sun. Also - what size should we plant, and how much water will it need to get established? Other tips?

Thanks.

Comments (13)

• terrestrial_man
    12 years ago

Maybe this one? check link

Here is a link that might be useful: Maybe?

• bahia
    12 years ago

The Dr Hurd Arctostaphylos is probably one of the best for what you describe, but will take a long time to become a small tree. They are sometimes available as 15 gallon plants, but a 5 gallon may be a safer bet.

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    12 years ago

Have you tried East Bay Wilds?

• jenn
    12 years ago

I too was going to recommend Dr. Hurd.

Bahia: Why do you recommend a 5-gallon size over 15-gal? You recommended that also in my thread about replacing our Dr. Hurd that died. I'd like to start with a larger plant --- would the 5-gal size would get off to a better start than 15-gal?

• kookoo2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I asked an arborist what size to plant, and he said 15 gal. might work, but suggested 5 gal. as more likely to adapt.

• kookoo2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We've looked at some Dr. Hurd specimens, and really aren't grabbed by them. Not sure why. Maybe we prefer smaller, denser leaves, more interesting trunk, or something. We do like the Howard McGinn type, but want another variety that would be a good contrast. We've seen a few around town with smaller, darker leaves; any idea what these might be?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

A. glauca forms a beautiful small tree--at least they do at Rancho Santa Ana Botanical garden in Claremont. I do not know how it would do in your area

• bahia
    12 years ago

You should check out the manzanitas collections at both the UC Berkeley Botanic Garden and nearby Tilden Botanic Garden to see mature plants, which will give you a much better idea of how they can come into their own as they mature. Young 5/15 gallon plants don't really give a complete picture. I wouldn't have the same concerns about planting larger 15 gallons if I am in control of both planting, soil prep, future irrigation, etc, but would hesitate to recommend the larger initial size for anyone not realizing the potential issues or some experience with keeping manzanitas happy in their situation. Smaller sizes planted in late fall with limited yet targeted first summers irrigation as necessary are much more likely to establish better.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I am very fond of my Arctostaphylos bakeri 'Louis Edmunds'. It is in full bloom right now and the birds are so active in it the whole bush shakes. It is about 15 years old and 6 or 7 feet tall, 3 to 4 feet wide. I was a volunteer worker at Saratoga Horticultural Foundation, where many many Manzanita selections were propagated and introduced. I have many of the Plant Culture Data Sheets collected by then director Phillip McMillan Browse. If anyone is interested in the origin of any of their introductions, send me an email. Al

• fallfograin
    12 years ago

I second Louis Edmunds. It is so beautiful with fine delicate leaves. I have one in my garden and love it. I got it at Yerba Buena nursery which has a great selection of many different Manzanitas:

http://www.yerbabuenanursery.com/search.php?bot=&com=manzanita&exp=0amp;wat=0amp;typ=0amp;search=Search

• kookoo2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Following up a few years later to let you all know we planted two Howard McGinns and two Louis Edmonds. All seem to be doing well so far (though of course no where near their mature heights!).

• OregonGrape
    9 years ago

A. densiflora 'Howard McMinn' is a really nice and easy-to-grow manzanita, but it is unlikely to have a tree form (unless pruned up... and even then, it will probably not look right). It's usually wider than tall. In NorCal, you're looking at probably a 4' x 6' shrub after 5 years, and it may slowly approach 8' x 8' after 20 years.

A. bakeri 'Louis Edmunds' is taller than wide and, with some pruning, will can look like a 6' x 4' mini-tree after 10 or so years (it'll eventually get to 8' or so tall). A. pungens and some of the A. stanfordianas have similar forms.

If you're looking for a 10'+ tree-like manzanita, the A. manzanita hybrids (most notably 'Austin Griffiths', 'Dr. Hurd', and 'Monica') are probably your bets bets in Berkeley. Big Berry manzanita (A. glauca) from SoCal should also make it there, provided that you don't water (after establishment) between May and November.

• kookoo2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thaniks Oregon Grape. We ultimately selected a silktassle for our larger "focal point" tree, so the manzanitas as larger shrubs turns out to be fine. We never did like the look of Dr. Hurd anyway.
    Current issue:
    Of our two Howard McGinn plants, one looks really nice, and the other is now looking like it's dying back a bit! (both Louis Edmonds look fine). The tips of some branches are losing leaves and drying up. IT is planted between a meyer lemon and an English Laurel (ugly, but it was here when we got here), near a ribes aureum that also isn't looking so good. Haven't watered at all since August (though it may get moisture from neighbor's backyard lawn), and it's rained A LOT the past few weeks.

Ideas of what I might do about it?