Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How and when to prune Artemisia 'Powis Castle'

Posted by nicolas1 z24 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 25, 06 at 22:01

I like this plant, but it looks really bad right now: leggy, with lots of dead, grey foliage in the center. I've been away for a couple of months, so I'm not sure if it was over- or under-watered, or if it is just spent. I would like to rejuvenate it, but I can't find anything on when it's OK to do this in my climate zone: coastal SoCal (right in the Ventura fogbelt--a.k.a. fungusbelt). I'm also not sure how aggressively I can cut it back. Any thoughts? Thanks, Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How and when to prune Artemisia 'Powis Castle'

I would cut it back severely and then keep it watered so it can regrow and look attractive before it gets cold. It roots as easily as coleus, so you might want to make a few cuttings just in case it decides to take offense and die on you. For me, nine times out of ten it regrows, but that tenth time, it never comes back, especially if it is a very old plant and is very overgrown.

o

I don't let my Powis Castle even get leggy. I treat it as I do all other "subshrubs" (including marguerites, many lavenders, geraniums).

I pinch them on a regular basis -- 3-4 times per year. They're constantly putting out new lateral growth and consequently stay bushy.

Beats the heck out of chopping back legginess and wondering if it's going to resprout.

Joe

o

Thanks for the advice. Once more into the breach (with my shears)!

o

I used my shovel. :)

o

Help!!! Is it okay to prune powis castle's at the end of fall, beginning of winter? I cut off all my dead leaves, but now it seems to be going grey and brittle all around, since I brought mine indoors for the winter. (I live in Long Island, NY, and have my powis castle in a pot all year round, so I had it out for the summer, but now it's getting cold and I didn't want it to get hurt, so I brought it indoors and next to a window that can give it plenty of sunlight, but it still looks like it drying up slowly and dying, or is that normal and I should be pruning it down? Thank you for any help!!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 26, 08 at 17:08

talf, this plant is rated for zones 4-9, so it should be able to overwinter on Long Island outside. Probably not in a pot, but in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here