Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify this tree (in the East Bay San Francisco area

Posted by hostarasta z9 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 22:04

If you know what type of tree this is, could you please advise? Thank you so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify this tree (in the East Bay San Francisco

It looks to be a pepper tree - 'Schinus molle'.

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 23:02

Yep....

o

Female. Such a pretty color to the berries.

o

The foliage smells nice, too. OTOH, it wants, very badly, to turn itself into a pepper tree grove.

o

It does reseed itself, plus dropping year around large amounts of refuse. Very difficult to grow anything under it. In our former location we had a large one that took regular pruning to keep it within our own lot. I finely ended up with my compost piles under this tree. Al

o

I spend a thousand bucks every two years to maintain mine. Male trees do not get the pretty berries, but they are much less of a mess.
Renee

o

Pepper trees are so beautiful. I love them in their natural form draping all the way to the ground. There are a few famous ones around in California. The one in the Mission San Juan Capistrano is magnificent. I thought Santa Barbara had a famous one too. A regal looking tree. Give them plenty of room to show off.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 0:57

there are hundreds in my neighborhood, most of them volunteers from prolific reseeding. They are beautiful, tough, and have their place, but have certain drawbacks--fire hazard, greedy roots, and the reseeding can be a problem. Though they are called "California Peppers", they are not native to California.

o

My parents have three of these in a far corner of their property, and that's where they're best. Yes, nothing would grow under them, but why would you need to? They deserve to be by themselves. They are beautiful year round.

o

Sad to say the the majestic pepper in Capistrano is gone. I went looking for it and found out it could not be saved.

o

Not a fan of this messy, invasive, non-native, common, boring tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here