Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweety48

Ipomoea indica

tweety48
18 years ago

I am very attracted the Morning Glory, but the "invasive" aspect has me concerned. I want to plant it on an arbor in a small front yard. Is it "scary" invasive, or able to be controlled if diligent. I don't want it running wild. If not this, is there a look-alike substitute? The blue is so eye catching.

Comments (5)

• camarillojeff
    18 years ago

Mine have been pretty vigorous but not what I consider invasive. They return every spring and occasionally pop up in a new area of the garden. But they are easy to spot and pull when they're young, and they won't get too far unless they have something to climb on. I've also been collecting the seed pods this year.

Much more invasive in my yard are nasturtiums and my neighbors ivy. My wife planted one small packet of nasturtium seeds several years ago and they all but took over the garden. I have to pull them out every few days.

Cheers, and happy gardening, Jeff

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

I believe Ipomoea indica is a synonym for Ipomoea acuminata and I. learii. I call mine I. acuminata just because that's what I knew it by first.

I've had mine for about 4 or 5 yrs. now. I love it! At first I paid no attention to those calling this invasive. I call it vigorous. Mine is perennial, so I'm not sure Jeff & I are talking about the same plant. I have found exactly 2 seed pods in all the time I've had it. For the longest time, I didn't think it made any!

Some said that any vines on the ground wouldn't bloom. Not true! They travel far & bloom all over the place if you let them. They are easy enough to cut & keep in line if you have the time. If you're not the kind of person to keep an eye on your garden, though, I wouldn't recommend this vine. If near a fence & the neighbors have trees close to it, they'll climb up that too (as well as nearby shrubs--but I like this look). Beautiful blue flowers everywhere! Make sure that's your neighbor's favorite color too! LOL

You can't beat the blue (by many) of the Blue Dawn Flower!
    This is in the afternoon when it's starting to fade to pink.
    {{gwi:556884}}
    I have a jungle of it now. Good thing for me, is I can rip out parts without (being careful or) worrying it'll all be gone. And it will grow back!

Diligence will pay off! :D
    ~Rosemarie

• arvind
    18 years ago

There is a truly invasive species: Ipomoea tricolor, or Mexican morning glory, which is taking over wild areas in California. Stay away from that one. It is prohibited in Alaska, and classified as a noxious weed in Arkansas.

• dolichos_gmail_com
    16 years ago

I grow I. indica, it really is a monster and sends out runners in all directions which I regularly clip off to control it. To keep it from being a problem, I grow it on a dead mulberry tree in the middle of a cement patio. It's hard to imagine I. tricolor being a weed up in Alaska! I. tricolor is the species that the old favorite "Heavenly Blue" belongs to, it's a tropical that dies down at first frost, and usually doesn't reseed in areas with cold winters. I get maybe one seedling a year in Istanbul, and that's in a pot that gets taken in during the winter. I have a post on these plants in my blog: http://gardenhastasi.blogspot.com/

• java959
    16 years ago

You should be able to contain it from being a problem. I've one on one side yard and it climbs up one of the trees. Mine does die back when the cold settles in and comes back when the warmth returns (like now). I too, rip it out when it gets out of control. It just needs more frequent pruning than anything else in my garden. The blue flowers are eye catchers.