Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Import T. cacao to CA

Posted by theo247 7b NC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 22:24

I'm planning on moving to CA next year and am checking into the regulations regarding the import of plants into the state. Does anyone have experience driving Theobroma cacao across the border? From what I've read, it looks like the border officials are more concerned about the soil than the plants themselves (as long as they are citrus or something grown commercially in CA), but I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for safely and legally transporting young cacao trees. They've been indoors their whole lives and are potted in commercially produced pine bark and perlite (no other soil mix components). Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Import T. cacao to CA

Check the State of CA gov't website for regulations. It may get taken from you at the border and you may never see it again. Leave it with a friend or relative to remember you. You can say its been grown indoors but whether they believe you or not is the issue. Even if its certified pest free it still can be confiscated.
Agrilculture is a huge part of our economy so imports are not wanted or needed.
You will discover an over whelming choice of plants to grow here.

Below is a link to get you started.

Here is a link that might be useful: CA regulations

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here