Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do in October in SoCal

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 22:51

According to Pat Welsh. See the book "Southern California Gardening" for details.

Plant:
cool season annuals
permanent landscape (except for tropicals, bare-roots, natives), lilies, oxalis, Tazetta daffodils, cineraria, wildflower seeds, cool season lawns, cool season veggies

Buy:
spring bulbs ( anemones, daffs, Dutch irises, ranunculus, crocus, tulips, hyacinth and pre-chill the last three

Divide:
clivia, daylily, gazanias, fortnight lily, bird of paradise, irise, Kahili ginger, lily turf, shasta daisies, hardy water lilies, naked ladies, perennials

Prune
pelargoniums, ivy geraniums, natives, cut down asparagus stems after they turn brown, cut back red fountain grass just as new blades emerge from ground, cut back festuca

Fertilize
fuchsias, hardy water lilies, poinsettias, roses, cool season lawns, St. Augustine.

Lift glads and clean up, tie up sweet peas, harvest macadamias, store tuberous begonias, dethatch cool season lawns, harvest horseradish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do in October in SoCal

I need to get the daylilies divided, but I'm not sure I'm physically up to doing it for 5-6 clumps. I might manage a couple. The others I'm thinking of just cutting back the outside growth to bring them back to a less overgrown size. This must sound awful, but it's all I can think of other than do nothing with them.

Thanks for the list.

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 21:07

Why not plant the natives now? I thought October was the best month for doing this. Min

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 0:27

what to do in October in SoCal?

go to the Fall plant sale at the Huntington and spend too much money.

o

Pat thinks November is even better than October for planting natives, min.
Too funny, nil!
I dread the day I must divide my daylilies, socks. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here