Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solanum jasminoides (potato vine)

Posted by marijon_gardener 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 22:51

I would like to use this vine to cover a down hill embankment next to the street. I know it can be invasive and curl it's way around adjacent plants, but if I tend it, can this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solanum jasminoides (potato vine)

• Posted by bob_b Sunset 14, Ca. (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 12:08

I'm surprised you have had no response from anyone who has used potato vine under the conditions you describe. I haven't. But my guess is it would be a poor choice. It would, I think, tend to look scraggly. It is a climber. Dwarf vinca would in my opinion be a better, neater ground cover, and would hold the soil better.

o

my neighbor has it between our properties in front of an old huge tall tree next to the sidewalk (trying to give you a feel where it is)
it is sooooo scraggly, ugly, thorny, we call it the monster that attacks the passerbys. and each year it gets cut back to almost nothing but holy smokes....
not the right place for it. I'm grateful she cuts it back. and unless you really prune it --probably daily, it grows out of control and to whatever direction it wants (my parked car) as i said the monster.........

o

Mine is too woody underneath to work as a groundcover. It would grow too high- four-five feet high, and you'd have nothing but a place for rats to nest with a thin covering of green foliage. The flowers also hang down, so you would not see them. I think you would be very unhappy with it.
Renee

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 0:43

We grow it as a vine on one of the posts of our patio. I can't imagine it grown as a groundcover. As a vine it is scraggly but I grow it anyway for the white flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here