Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Suggestions to replace thirsty impatiens here (2 pics)

hosenemesis
13 years ago

Hi all,

I have this lovely new bed that I created specifically for screaming orange and scarlet red flowers with chartreuse foliage. It has become a nightmare planting area.

I started with a grassy path, orange and red impatiens with red hippeastrum, orange tiger lilies, orange and red canna and daylilies, and chartreuse Duranta and acorus. It looked good for one season.

Then we got Sam the dog, and no more grassy path.

Then the locust tree overhead and the duranta grew, no more sun, except for one 11- noon blazing hot hour in the summer and all winter when the tree loses its leaves.

Then it dawned on the hippeastrum that it did not like to be wet and the impatiens realized they hated to be dry. The lilies want more sun. What a mess.

Here's the spot, any ideas for screaming orange, red and/or chartreuse replacements for impatiens and daylilies?

The shadier side:

{{gwi:267372}}

The sunnier side:

{{gwi:549824}}

The only thing I could think of was Heuchera 'Limelight'.

Renee

Comments (5)

• gardenguru1950
    13 years ago

Tough spot.

I'm not sure any of these are "perfect" but each has some good qualities:

Bergenia cordifolia ÂWinterglut BERGENIA
    Clivia hybrids KAFFIR LILY
    Hedychium ÂTara ORANGE GINGER
    Heuchera hybrids (many) CORAL BELLS
    Lobelia laxiflora angustifolia MEXICAN CARDINAL FLOWER
    Mimulus x hybridus ANNUAL MONKEY FLOWER
    Phygelius CAPE FUCHSIA
    Primula x polyantha ENGLISH PRIMROSE
    Stylomecon heterophylla WIND POPPY
    Tagetes lemmonii COPPER CANYON DAISY
    Tropaeolum majus NASTURTIUM

Two other thoughts:

1) Trim the trees to allow more sun in.
    2) Think white flowers and variegated plants

Joe

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, Joe. I know I should just give up on the color scheme, but I loved it, and it looked so very different from all of the pink, blue and lavendar gardens around here.

I have already started to plant clivias there. The problem is that they bloom so early that there is no red to clash with at that time of year.

Nasturtiums may make it there, though. I'll try them this year instead of impatiens and see what happens.

The other option you mentioned: different colored foliage- I have a few purply bromeliads there that I haven't killed yet. I could probably go purply and chartreuse, with the occasional red or orange flower blooming.

Renee

• wanda
    13 years ago

how about fibrous begonias instead of impatiens. They seem to like it much drier.
    Crocosmia has screaming orange color. 'Emily Mckenzie' is my favorite.
    Just an annual (at least here), but the Sweet potato vine ('Margarita') is definitely screaming chartreuse. Also coleus comes in wonderful chartreuse-y colors, as well as orange
    Sedum makanoi 'Ogon' works well in shade. Also 'angelina' and 'lime coral' and take little water.
    Liriope 'Sunproof', Hakonechloa 'All Gold', Acorus 'Ogon' might be other considerations
    and that Geranium 'Vancover Centennial' definitely!

Wanda

• wanda
    13 years ago

Just came in from the garden and I thought of another....

Salvia 'Golden Delicious', dwarf pineapple sage with chartreuse leaves and bright red flowers. Mine is in partial shade and looks great right now!

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, Wanda! What a list! I have the Acorus 'Ogon' there now. As a matter of fact, I have it all over the place I love it so much. I should consider putting bigger drifts of it in that bed.
    You certainly know my taste- I just looked up Geranium Vancouver Centennial and it's the same one I have in a pot just five feet from that bed. I love that thing. I don't know why I never thought of putting more in.
    To finish it off, your Salvia 'Golden Delicious" recommendation will fit perfectly with the orange from the geranium. DONE! Thank you, thank you.

I'll post photos when it's all in.
    Renee