Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions to replace thirsty impatiens here (2 pics)

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 23:07

Hi all,
I have this lovely new bed that I created specifically for screaming orange and scarlet red flowers with chartreuse foliage. It has become a nightmare planting area.

I started with a grassy path, orange and red impatiens with red hippeastrum, orange tiger lilies, orange and red canna and daylilies, and chartreuse Duranta and acorus. It looked good for one season.

Then we got Sam the dog, and no more grassy path.

Then the locust tree overhead and the duranta grew, no more sun, except for one 11- noon blazing hot hour in the summer and all winter when the tree loses its leaves.

Then it dawned on the hippeastrum that it did not like to be wet and the impatiens realized they hated to be dry. The lilies want more sun. What a mess.

Here's the spot, any ideas for screaming orange, red and/or chartreuse replacements for impatiens and daylilies?

The shadier side:
Photobucket

The sunnier side:
Photobucket

The only thing I could think of was Heuchera 'Limelight'.

Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions to replace thirsty impatiens here (2 pics)

Tough spot.

I'm not sure any of these are "perfect" but each has some good qualities:

Bergenia cordifolia Winterglut BERGENIA
Clivia hybrids KAFFIR LILY
Hedychium Tara ORANGE GINGER
Heuchera hybrids (many) CORAL BELLS
Lobelia laxiflora angustifolia MEXICAN CARDINAL FLOWER
Mimulus x hybridus ANNUAL MONKEY FLOWER
Phygelius CAPE FUCHSIA
Primula x polyantha ENGLISH PRIMROSE
Stylomecon heterophylla WIND POPPY
Tagetes lemmonii COPPER CANYON DAISY
Tropaeolum majus NASTURTIUM

Two other thoughts:

1) Trim the trees to allow more sun in.
2) Think white flowers and variegated plants

Joe

o

Thanks for the suggestions, Joe. I know I should just give up on the color scheme, but I loved it, and it looked so very different from all of the pink, blue and lavendar gardens around here.

I have already started to plant clivias there. The problem is that they bloom so early that there is no red to clash with at that time of year.

Nasturtiums may make it there, though. I'll try them this year instead of impatiens and see what happens.

The other option you mentioned: different colored foliage- I have a few purply bromeliads there that I haven't killed yet. I could probably go purply and chartreuse, with the occasional red or orange flower blooming.

Renee

o

how about fibrous begonias instead of impatiens. They seem to like it much drier.
Crocosmia has screaming orange color. 'Emily Mckenzie' is my favorite.
Just an annual (at least here), but the Sweet potato vine ('Margarita') is definitely screaming chartreuse. Also coleus comes in wonderful chartreuse-y colors, as well as orange
Sedum makanoi 'Ogon' works well in shade. Also 'angelina' and 'lime coral' and take little water.
Liriope 'Sunproof', Hakonechloa 'All Gold', Acorus 'Ogon' might be other considerations
and that Geranium 'Vancover Centennial' definitely!

Wanda

o
RE: One more Suggestions to replace thirsty impatiens here (2 pic

Just came in from the garden and I thought of another....

Salvia 'Golden Delicious', dwarf pineapple sage with chartreuse leaves and bright red flowers. Mine is in partial shade and looks great right now!

o

Wow, Wanda! What a list! I have the Acorus 'Ogon' there now. As a matter of fact, I have it all over the place I love it so much. I should consider putting bigger drifts of it in that bed.
You certainly know my taste- I just looked up Geranium Vancouver Centennial and it's the same one I have in a pot just five feet from that bed. I love that thing. I don't know why I never thought of putting more in.
To finish it off, your Salvia 'Golden Delicious" recommendation will fit perfectly with the orange from the geranium. DONE! Thank you, thank you.

I'll post photos when it's all in.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here