Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbarbbr

What is this weird sound ?

I'm asking for my mother who's in Berkeley, CA.
I can't seem to find a totally appropriate forum area to post in, so I'm trying here . . .

There is some high frequency sound that's audible during the day, and no one can figure out where it's coming from or even from which direction.
It doesn't start until 11:00am and ends at 1:30pm +/- .

It's much fainter than the sound clip, which is at a link that should show up below.
(The banging and knocking sounds are just the iphone operator's.)

I've heard some pest control devices before, but they didn't have the drop-off in tone as this one does.

The only thing I can think of is, the phone company pressurizes their big lines on the poles and perhaps it's a pinhole leak.

Anyone have any other ideas ?

Thanks,

Kent

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's weird garden sound

This post was edited by kbarb on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 13:09

Comments (10)

• catkim
    9 years ago

NSA monitoring? j/k
    Seriously, I've never heard anything like that in a garden, ever.

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

It sounds as if something electronic is cycling on and off. Are there any utility boxes or polls nearby? I think I'd be calling the utility companies to have them check their equipment. How about a near neighbor that might have something electronic in their yard?

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    9 years ago

One of those things that are supposed to stop a dog barking?

• nil13
    9 years ago

Does she have drip irrigation? I've heard something similar from air being forced out of a drip irrigation line. The lines drain and there is water left in the line. Then the sun hits the black tubes and heats the water forcing air out of the system.

• Elise
    9 years ago

I live in Berkeley and I have never heard that high frequency sound.
    But there is another sound that I've heard around dusk for 11 years. It's a long whoop, whoop, made by an animal, and I do not have a clue what it is. It echos across the canyon in the evening. Some neighbors a mile away used to keep llamas and I thought it was them, but the llamas are gone now and I still hear this weird call at night.
    Guess I'll have to record it!

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    9 years ago

I have an electronic device to keep the raccoons from digging up my yard and sometimes I do hear it but I do have very sensitive hearing. It cycles in different tones so animals don't get used to it and it is very high pitched like your recording. I have heard mine inside the house with sliding doors closed and it emits away from the house.
    It could be a neighbors device cycling.

• bickybee
    9 years ago

Oh my! That would be annoying. Please let us know what it is when you find out.

• SusanC
    9 years ago

Elise: -I think you may be hearing U.C. Berkeley's colony of research hyenas that live up in the hills near the botanical garden (although, not for much longer.) Below is an article about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Research hyenas

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Susan, this is more of an electronic sound, that sounds like it is cycling, not hyenas laughing or vocalizing. Unless Berkeley has some sort of electronic fence?? This sound is not from an animal, it sounds electronic.

Patty S.

• SusanC
    9 years ago

Hi Patty,

I was responding to Elise, a few posts above, who said that she was hearing the sounds of animals howling.

best,
    Susan