Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter sun, bright summer shade, below Juniper

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 23:31

I'm looking for drought-tolerant plants to build a small garden below a branch of a mature Juniper tree. This spot is along our back fence that faces southwest and gets winter sun and bright summer shade from the Juniper above it. Our soil is clay.

This area is behind a row of Roses in full sun. I don't want a lot of color to conflict with the Roses. I'd like a small garden with plants 2-4 feet tall to fill an area about 10 feet long and 4-5 feet deep from the fence.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter sun, bright summer shade, below Juniper

Are you sure you don't want something taller behind the roses? You could plant some blue and purple sages, they would complement the colors of the roses.
Renee

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 0:56

Renee, this spot is sort of tucked in between the back fence and a path behind the roses; it's not part of the rose bed at all. It lies about 8-10 feet behind the roses.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 17:08

Maybe a mass planting of Helleborus argutifolius, the Corsican Hellebore. Lovely foliage, flowers are green and in winter when everything else is sort of meh, it is going full-tilt. Tough plant. Probably shorter in your inland area than near the coast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corsican Hellebore

o

I love that plant! I read that it requires lots of water- constantly moist soil. Have you grown it, Hoovb? Do you know where to buy it?
renee

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 11:08

Does it require lots of water? Mine seems happy with dry shade. I got mine as a 4" native sons pot from local garden center.

I can send you some seeds when it blooms.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 15:09

Hoovb, thank you for your suggestion. I completely forgot I asked this question, and found it while searching again. :-/

Here's a photo of the area, taken May 2011. The blank slate I want to design is about 9x9', in the corner between the tree trunks. The roses in the foreground are separated by several feet. A compost pile had been there for a few years so the soil has a nice top layer of compost.

I'm considering a few possibilities:
- One large Hybrid Musk rose (Darlow's Enigma - I've grown it before in a smaller spot and had to give it away - it loved the shade.
- Flagstones surrounded by smaller plants, leading to a bench in the corner.

This corner is not highly visible from the patio or house, but it is the view from our bedroom window and we'd like it to look nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here