Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you choose - Lisbon or Eureka lemon?

Posted by ashleysf 9 SF SouthBay (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 23:39

I am planning on buying a new lemon tree - my choice is either a Lisbon or Eureka lemon tree on a dwarf rootstock - because it will be planted in front of a window. I already have a dwarf Meyer. The reason for these 2 choices are - I want a "true" lemon, prolific producer and year round fruit. Please help me decide - I would love to hear your choice and why you chose it. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you choose - Lisbon or Eureka lemon?

Lisbon lemons are slightly smaller than Eurekas and have a noticeably thicker skin that is smoother (making it nicer for zesting). I think Lisbon lemons are juicier and, overall, less seedy (but that depends on the exact clone of "Lisbon" versus "Eureka"). The Lisbon tree has more thorns than the Eureka.

Also, fyi, 'Meyer' isn't a true lemon and it will produce well everywhere. Eureka and Lisbon will produce lots of fruits everywhere but they develop thick, somewhat bitter skins in cool climates (such as SWGB Zones 15, 16, 17; maybe where you are) and the flesh doesn't sweeten up as well with cool summers, cool winters. Have you tasted fruit off of a true lemon tree in your neighborhood?

Joe

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 11:52

I'd also caution you to consider that either of these lemons on dwarf root stalk will still be much larger growing than Dwarf Meyer, and will completely block your view from the window,(they easily get 15 feet tall by across), so if that is what you want, go ahead. Eureka lemons do work here in coastal influenced Berkeley,(Sunset zones 16/17), but also have the thicker skins. I don't think I have ever eaten a Lisbon lemon locally.

o

thanks for your help. I talked to 2 neighbors on my street - they both have Eureka and the lemon is like the one from the grocery store in taste. And, I am unable to find someone with a Lisbon in my neighborhood. But, some nurseries here carry them. The tag says "true dwarf" for both Eureka and Lisbon trees - what does that mean?

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 21:15

Dwarf is a relative term for both the Eureka and Lisbon lemon, and the size I mentioned is what either wants to grow to be if you don't constantly prune them. If you intend to keep any sort of a view or light coming in through this window, neither choice is a good candidate for your spot, although a dwarf Meyer lemon is more manageably kept at a 5 to 6 foot height as it is a much more compact grower.

o

Dwarf is a relative term and varies with the grower. Those grown by Four Winds are on flying dragon rootstock and are easy to keep as a "true dwarf". Those by other growers on different stock can easily grow to 15 feet, and a lemon that has to kept "dwarf" by pruning can result in most of the fruit being eliminated. Been there/done that. Al

o

• Posted by jim123 z9 or z10 CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 16:39

Although the fruit is about the same between the two trees, the growth habit of the trees are very different. Lisbon is very vigorous and will almost always be a bigger and denser tree. It is also a heavy bearer. Eureka is not as vigorous. It needs closer care. It seems to have trouble getting nutrients from the soil, as the leaves tend to be lighter green and show signs of nutrient deficiencies even when grow adjacent to Lisbon.

In short, Lisbon tends to be rambunctious and needs care to keep it under control, and Eureka tends to be more delicate and needs care to keep it healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here