Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Star Jasmine Growth

Posted by jbw1984 CA (southern) (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 23:58

Hello!

I have a potted star jasmine plant on my balcony that I purchased in May. It was about a foot-and-a-half tall when I bought it, with flowers. I repotted it, it eventually dropped the flowers in late June and now seems to be very QUICKLY releasing new growth.

The problem I see is that the new growth is very sparse in leaves. Whereas the plant I bought has nodes and leaves about every inch or so or even denser, the new growth sometimes leaves 2-3" between nodes.

I am trying to wrap the new growth around a trellis, but I am wondering if I need to be doing something else to get more leaves. The idea is to cover up the hideous wall on my balcony.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Star Jasmine Growth

How much sun does it get? It covers a 2 story brick wall here completely. Blue Jays build nests in it. It took several years to cover. I installed vertical wires standing off the wall about an inch to help it climb. When it is in bloom we open the patio door to let it perfume the house. Al

o

It gets a ton of sun! It is a south-facing balcony and gets probably about 7-8 hours of direct sunlight, and then it's very bright after that too (just not direct).

Some of the new shoots have grown 8-10 inches in the last month.

I do wish it would bloom longer through the summer, but I'm not asking for advice about that :-)

o

I have grown dozens of Star Jasmine over the years, most as a ground cover, I have no idea how well it works as a container plant. You may get some answers if posted on the container growing forum. Al

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 15:17

The main stem after it grows a while gets side stems. These side stems are what bloom, and they are also what make the plant fuller of foliage. The first stems are just the start.

Patience! This plant can take 3 years to really get going, even given good care and a location it likes.

o

Thank you everyone for your posts. I reposted this in the Container Gardening forum, because that does seem like a more appropriate place. But I read this forum too and I welcome more replies.

o

It will get leaves. Mine too are sending out long tendrils with no leaves right now, but they leaf out later.
Renee

o

What Renee said, the long tendrils are coming now so don't be worried about leaves. They will come. Star jasmine is unstoppable IMHO. I have it in a pot and edging our entire corner lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here