Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lana_lang

sod over dead lawn - questions

lana_lang
12 years ago

Let me start by telling you a little about my front lawn:

We moved into our home about a year ago, and the front lawn was a mess. Mostly crabgrass and weeds. Because of this, we decided not to waste water on it during the summer, in anticipation of getting a new lawn eventually. The summer heat turned it into a dry, yellow straw patch. We've had a few rain showers in the past week, so I'm thinking now is the time to get some new sod. And I have some questions:

1. Tilling - I've heard conflicting things about tilling. Should we till or not? I think it would be great if we didn't have to! It's so much work. But we have clay soil, so I don't know if it would be prudent to till to allow the new grass roots to break into the soil more easily. But I've heard tilling encourages weed growth also.

Could we just cut the existing grass down to a stubble and put mulch over it and sod over that?

2. What kind of sod is best for the central valley? It would be nice to have something drought resistant since we're so hot here in the summer. And I'm also concerned about the crabgrass coming back, so something dense that would crowd it out, maybe? any suggestions?

thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!