Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmommy_2010

Fall Pruning/Topping of Tomatoes?

gardenmommy_2010
13 years ago

So, I got a late start this year and am about to finally get my first ripe tomato (aside from cherry tomatoes). Therefore, I am desperate to keep my other baby tomatoes growing/ripening as the season progresses in order to have at least a couple tomatoes this year.

I've read of other gardeners topping/pruning their tomato plants about this time in the hopes that more energy will be given to the existing fruit on the plants. Most of my tomato plants have between 3-15 baby tomatoes of varying sizes on them. Should I be pruning questionable branches & topping the plants growth in order to help the baby tomatoes along? According to our zone our first frost would mid Nov, so that's just a month & a half of additional growing.

For example, one Celebrity has one stem that's always looked unhealthy & has 3 tomatoes on it that really don't seem to have grown in the past weeks. However, it also has another stem that looks very healthy and has 4 baby tomatoes on it. Would you amputate the questionable stem in the hopes of directing energy to the healthy growth/tomatoes? In our CA growing season, is now the time to be making such judgement calls & taking such actions in order to encourage what babies are on the plants?

Thanks for your advice as I'm new to gardening & just want my home grown tomatoes!

Comments (4)