Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onederw

Geranium Rozanne

onederw
12 years ago

Just underplanted my roses with geranium Rozanne -- very happy there, and her blue is a lovely mediating influence, softening the juxtaposition of some of my more unfortunate cheek-by-jowl rose color choices. (Never mind.) I know what to do for my roses in winter; is there anything special I should do for Rozanne? Should I cut her back for the winter, or will she just die back when it gets cold and reappear in the spring? And how does she feel about mulch?

Kay

Comments (9)

• bahia
    12 years ago

I've been growing.g this geranium for over a year now, and find it doesn't really need any cutting back in my Sunset zone 16/17 conditions, and has remained in bloom all year long. I only trim it to keep it within bounds. It would surely appreciate a compost mulch if you have the room, as I grow it there isn't any bare soil, so I use fertilizers instead. In colder zones, shearing it back in mid winter may be beneficial, and I would suspect that zones with much hotter summers will tend to cut down on year round blooming.

• onederw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds like great advice. Thanks, Bahia!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Hmmm, sounds like you have the same rose color coordination issues I have. Hoovb kept telling me to use a lavendar to mellow the strife, but I wanted HOT. I have finally given in and I am planting geraniums and liatris to help mellow everyone out. Looks wonderful.
    Renee

• onederw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Right you are, Renee. What seemed like esprit de carnival in February became a blinkin' color riot in April. For relief of garden eye pain, blue = good.

Kay

• jenn
    12 years ago

Rozanne grows and blooms year-round and never dies back in my zone. She does not look her best in hot weather but tolerates it (we have clay soil) better than many perennial geraniums.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

I have about 10 of these. I just gently tug out the dead growth now and then--when it is ready to come out, it tugs right off. Sometimes I cut them back if they look really ratty in early fall--about now--and they grow a bit of fresh foliage and stay that way for the winter, not doing a whole lot but looking good enough.

Some of them get very small in the winter--just a few leaves--others in warmer spots stay a bit larger and bloom a little. Then come late winter they start growing rapidly and blooming lavishly again. A truly wonderful plant.

All of mine are mulched. Some are seven or eight years old, so I think they don't mind the mulch.

• onederw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wowsers -- Hoovb, that's exactly the kind of behavior I was hoping for -- quiescent but tidy in the winter, a blooming machine thereafter.
    One further question -- when they get to be as venerable as yours -- I can only imagine what 7 and 8 year old plants might look like -- do you divide them? Do any of their long tentacles (not the proper botanical terminology, I'm quite sure) take root?

Kay

• bhnash
    12 years ago

I have successfully divided Geranium Rozanne. Actually, I was a bit afraid to lose the one plant I had by trying it, so I didn't dig it up, instead I loosened the perimeter, and was able to slice off three pieces of roots with leaves still attached. Happily every baby made it, with flying colors. I would suggest doing it either in Fall after they slow down, or in Spring when fresh growth starts.

• jenn
    12 years ago

After gently pulling out and cutting the dead undergrowth, ours is looking beautiful again and enjoying the cooler weather. I think ours has bloomed non-stop since early spring... I'll have to check my photos to be sure.