Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Yellow jasmine won't bloom (add Lime?)

Laurel Zito
12 years ago

I posted the vine forum, but I wanted to also mention the problem here to see if anyone has some ideas about what to do about non blooming vines. This has never happened before. All my plants bloom. Is adding lime a good idea to create blooms? But if do would be hurt the other plants near by? It's raining today, so I can't get a good photo right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of vine in background

Comments (5)

• bahia
    12 years ago

First off, the correct name for this plant is Carolina Jessamine, or Gelsemium sempervirens. It prefers a neutral to slightly acidic soil ph, so adding lime is the opposite of what it would prefer. You know that this vine blooms in winter, not summer, don't you? I/d suggest that all you need to do is either fertilize with a complete fertilizer of mulch with compost to get it to bloom this winter. It probably does bloom more reliably in locations that get more seasonal changes of temperature than the Sunset or Richmond Districts in SF, but I have seen them bloom well enough in all parts of San Francisco as long as they get enough light and water and fertile soil.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did not know it blooms in winter, but it has never bloomed for me, even in winter. I am in the Ingleside district which is sort of like the sunset district.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I heard this from someone about non bloomers to add lime, but I also heard san francisco soil and water is filled with alkaline and never add lime. On the other hand my soil is filled with starbucks coffee ground and home made compost so it must be high acid. Does adding lime every make non bloomers bloom, by stressing them out? Or you have to dig them up and put them in a small pot to make them think they are going to die? IE forcing a bulb? If the plant thinks it is going to die, it decides to bloom. If it thinks it can get away with growing huge amount of vegatation forever because it has too much good soil and water it will not bloom. That is also a theory I am thinking about.

• bahia
    12 years ago

Adding lime is only going to be beneficial for plants that want an alkaline soil ph. Virtually anywhere in the SF Bay Area will likely have neutral to slightly acidic soils. I've never heard of anyone advocating adding lime to get things to bloom locally. General purpose or bloom fertilizer would likely give you better results. Your plant looks plenty healthy and large enough to bloom, but not getting enough summer baking might be a reason that it is shy to bloom.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bahia, yes this has been an unsually cold summer. But, if it blooms in the winter? I would assume summer heat, in this case, would not play a role? Maybe this winter it will bloom? That would be good, as very little else is in bloom in the winter.