Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Verbena tapien/blue annual or perennial?

Posted by mia1974 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 10:31

I am wondering if blue/violet verbena tapien is actually a reliable perennial in San Jose (sunset zone 15 i think?, or zone 9) or should be thought of as an annual to be discarded after a season?
I am looking for a low growing groundcover and really like the way it looks.
Thanks for any input :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Verbena tapien/blue annual or perennial?

Hardiness is supposed to be from 8a - 11b. I'm in zone 10 I think, and mine keeps growing all year.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 1:30

In my opinion it isn't dependable as a long lived perennial ground cover here in northern California, especially if you want good appearance year round. I haven't grown it in areas with warmer summers, in Sunset zones 16/17 it generally lasted less than a year; some individual plants would live over, up to 50% would croak.

o

Thank for the replies I really appreciate the input :)

I bought some myoporum parvifolium 'pink' just in case the verbena doesn't pull through. It looks low growing, dense and seems to be evergreen. Do either of you know how much each plant will actually spred? I read on the tag 24", but on some websites I am seeing 5 feet....not sure what I should space these at.
I just wanted some negative space...so I need a plant that would make a nice spreading groundcover for the eyes to rest on when surrounded by other plants.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 21:36

The Myoporum parvifolium 'Dwarf Pink form' is a great very low spreading ground cover, I use it a lot. I usually plant it at about a 12 to 18 inch spacing from flats or cell packs, as it is pretty fast growing, and after 2 or more years, yes, it can spread up to 4 feet across. Closer spacing isn't really a problem, but avoid planting it too close to edges of pavement or you'll need to trim it quite often. If you are planting it from one gallon cans, I'd space it more like 2 to 3 feet on center. Dymondia margaratae is another great low ground cover, and Dwarf Mondo Grass works well as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here