Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luv_figs

strawberries in zone 10

luv_figs
14 years ago

Hi,

What strawberry variety do you guys recommend for zone 10? I live in Orange County and was thinking of Seascape, but that's only up to zone 8. I couldn't find how many chilling hours Seascape needed.

What do you guys plant? Looking for super tasty strawberries to plant in a container.

Thanks!

Jen

Comments (12)

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

The Sunset Western Garden Book (which doesn't deal in USDA Zones 1-11) states that these strawberry cultivars do well in Southern California [regardless of 8, 9, 10, 11...]:

Camarosa
    Chandler
    Douglas
    Pajaro
    Sequoia

Aromas
    Brighton
    Fern
    Fort Laramie
    Hecker
    Seascape
    Selva
    Sunset
    Tribute
    Tristar

Strawberries do best in the ground. Should we assume that you do not have such?

Joe

• luv_figs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Joe,
    Unfortunately, I don't have a yard or anything like that. Just a concrete patio with lots of small pots. But I did get a pretty awesome 8 hole strawberry planter.

Do you have a particular favorite variety?

-Jen

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Jen:

I didn't list my "favorite" because taste is so subjective and what I like isn't necessarily what others like.

With that said, Sequoia usually wins blind tastes tests.

Joe

• lynnmac
    14 years ago

I am very happy with Sequoia, although I grow it in the ground which may make a difference.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

I like Sequoia the best, best flavor and productivity. Chandler is good but not nearly as productive. The Seascape was not as productive as Chandler and the texture was rather crunchy. I like crunchy apples but not crunchy strawberries.

If you are in Sunset 24 the more surrounding concrete the better. They like a touch of warmth to keep the botrytis at bay. If you can build a raised planter of some kind, you will have better results than in a strawberry pot.

I flipped my strawberry pots over, put a stone tile on top, and made patio tables out of them.

Succulents do pretty well in strawberry pots, better than strawberries.

• dicot
    14 years ago

Do you all get to enjoy the fruit without netting the plants? I gave up because birds took all the strawberries if I left them uncovered and the netting looked ugly.

• doginthegarden
    14 years ago

Is now a good time to plant strawberries (probably in the ground), or better to wait until spring?

I'm in SFV which I think is Sunset zone 21, and assume USDA 10 or 11. All I see for sale in local garden stores is Chandler, so I assume they do well around here.

thanks sb

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

The best time to plant strawberries is during bare-root season -- late December to early February.

The best selection of cultivars is also at this time. Chandler is the standby "commercial" strawberry but I don't think it's the best tasting that can be grown in So. Cal. gardens.

Joe

• luv_figs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your comments guys! I had some Sequoias in tiny pots and transplanted them to my new strawberry planter. it was heart breaking to do since i had to separate the 3 plants and tear the roots apart. i think i may have killed them all!

there are over 6 stalks/leaf sets on each strawberry.

• HU-601247936
    4 years ago

When are strawberries ready to harvest in zone 10A?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Depends on type, but generally when they are red and ripe ;-) Short day types are typically harvested in mid to late spring, while day neutral types can ripen and be harvested anytime from June through to fall.

• HU-601247936
    4 years ago

That does help! Thanks for the info!👍