Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strawberries in zone 10

Posted by luv_figs 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 11:21

Hi,
What strawberry variety do you guys recommend for zone 10? I live in Orange County and was thinking of Seascape, but that's only up to zone 8. I couldn't find how many chilling hours Seascape needed.

What do you guys plant? Looking for super tasty strawberries to plant in a container.

Thanks!
Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strawberries in zone 10

The Sunset Western Garden Book (which doesn't deal in USDA Zones 1-11) states that these strawberry cultivars do well in Southern California [regardless of 8, 9, 10, 11...]:

Camarosa
Chandler
Douglas
Pajaro
Sequoia

Aromas
Brighton
Fern
Fort Laramie
Hecker
Seascape
Selva
Sunset
Tribute
Tristar

Strawberries do best in the ground. Should we assume that you do not have such?

Joe

o

Hi Joe,
Unfortunately, I don't have a yard or anything like that. Just a concrete patio with lots of small pots. But I did get a pretty awesome 8 hole strawberry planter.

Do you have a particular favorite variety?

-Jen

o

Jen:

I didn't list my "favorite" because taste is so subjective and what I like isn't necessarily what others like.

With that said, Sequoia usually wins blind tastes tests.

Joe

o

I am very happy with Sequoia, although I grow it in the ground which may make a difference.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 16:58

I like Sequoia the best, best flavor and productivity. Chandler is good but not nearly as productive. The Seascape was not as productive as Chandler and the texture was rather crunchy. I like crunchy apples but not crunchy strawberries.

If you are in Sunset 24 the more surrounding concrete the better. They like a touch of warmth to keep the botrytis at bay. If you can build a raised planter of some kind, you will have better results than in a strawberry pot.

I flipped my strawberry pots over, put a stone tile on top, and made patio tables out of them.

Succulents do pretty well in strawberry pots, better than strawberries.

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 21:44

Do you all get to enjoy the fruit without netting the plants? I gave up because birds took all the strawberries if I left them uncovered and the netting looked ugly.

o

Is now a good time to plant strawberries (probably in the ground), or better to wait until spring?

I'm in SFV which I think is Sunset zone 21, and assume USDA 10 or 11. All I see for sale in local garden stores is Chandler, so I assume they do well around here.

thanks sb

o

The best time to plant strawberries is during bare-root season -- late December to early February.

The best selection of cultivars is also at this time. Chandler is the standby "commercial" strawberry but I don't think it's the best tasting that can be grown in So. Cal. gardens.

Joe

o

Thanks for all your comments guys! I had some Sequoias in tiny pots and transplanted them to my new strawberry planter. it was heart breaking to do since i had to separate the 3 plants and tear the roots apart. i think i may have killed them all!

there are over 6 stalks/leaf sets on each strawberry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here