Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Just add water'

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 11:27

First, let me declare that I am really enjoying these cooler temperatures!

Last April I bought some Iris rhizomes at the Fullerton Arboretum 'Green Scene' (Mary Frances, and Carol's Yellow). I stored them in the bag during the summer. In August we left on vacation, during which time the temperatures rose to 100 here and the house probably turned into an oven. I kept them in the bag for the rest of the summer.

Last Thursday (1 week ago today) when it was still too hot to do any real gardening, I thought I'd better at least put them into some damp potting soil. One of them looked shriveled, one looked pretty tiny, and the other two seemed OK, but I put all 4 in a wide shallow bowl of moistened cactus mix, set the bowl in a cool spot beneath some plants in the shade on the north side of the house -- and hoped for the best.

Today, ALL FOUR BULBS have green leaves of various sizes. The first ones emerged on Monday or Tuesday (I'm a data geek and wish I recorded the actual days). One of them is just a tiny nub, while others are 2-3 inches tall already! In the next week or two, I'll transfer each one to its own pot before the roots become too entangled, and set them out in the garden later this month.

I was doing the happy dance this morning. My husband said 'Just add water'!.

It's starting to feel like Fall and I'm starting to get in the groove again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Just add water'

Irises are tough.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 14:22

They sure are.

Here's a photo I took this morning after I set the pot in morning sun for a few hours. The tiny one in the lower right has a nub barely visible in the photo; I tried to lift it, but it seems the roots have already taken hold so I am not giving up hope.

Please tell me if I need to add more soil on top of any of these; I'm new to Iris and know not to bury the rhizomes but I may have erred on the side of too shallow instead.

o

I think they are fine. When you plant them in the ground you can bury them a bit deeper.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 10:13

Thanks, Renee. I figure if they survived being inside a bag inside the hot house while we were on vacation this hot summer, they'll survive not being buried enough in this bowl for a short time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here