Bird on top

Comments (9)

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

That's pretty,BUT what is it??
    Kathi

• dicot
    12 years ago

Are those tangerines? Wow, looks like the world's biggest pyracantha or something. Little kids and some parents love those on Halloween, pre-teens are likely to heave them at your house, each other, cars on the street, ...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Pyracantha? Ours are many weeks away from that kind of display.

Pumpkins are so very easy to grow, no need to ever buy them. And always plenty to share with friends/neighbors/pies.

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

My pumpkin this year came from a volunteer vine that grew out of my compost bin, it was small but that just made it cute.

My guess is that it's a Mt. Ash, they ripen in early fall and some cultivars have bright orange fruit that birds love. It's hard to tell what the leaves look like though, so I might be way off.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Love Pyracantha. Spotted Towhee. Male. Perfect Halloween colors- black, rufous, and white!

• onederw
    12 years ago

Okay. . . I remember reading long ago and far away that pyracantha berries made birds tipsy, and thus easy prey for cats. True or urban legend. . . or have I just explained Rick Perry's problem during that Cornerstone speech?

Kay

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

I think any fermenting fruit or berries will make them tipsy, when my father lived in Washington state he had lots of huckleberry plants around his house and the birds would get drunk on them every year.

Rick Perry's problem may be slightly different in nature... ;oP

• deep___roots
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The berries are poisonous to people. Birds love them and they flock to these bushes at the time the berries are just right for them. They seem to know the best time to get the berries (to get the kick). You will see birds sitting in the trees...all of a sudden they will swoop down in numbers and feed and then they swoop back up into the trees. This happens when deciduous trees have no leaves, so you can see all these birds hanging out. Then they swoop again. You could describe it as "wheeling in". It is quite a sight. The berries do make them drunk and they sometimes fly into windows.

Molly Ivins christened Perry "Governor Good Hair". Ha ha.

• sagitarrius
    12 years ago

Definitely looks like a Pyracanthus. This is a big one, but they can get even bigger. I have one in my backyard that is about 75 years old and over 20' tall. I wish mine had this many berries on it though!

It's a myth that the berries are poisonous to people, they can taste quite bitter, so some people assume they aren't edible, however, if sweetened you can make jams and jellies from them.

Beautiful pyra!!