Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Western Redbud- leaves falling

Posted by JoonB 24 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 12:12

I have 2 Western Redbuds in the front of my yard having western exposure, so it does get lots of sun in the afternoon. And of course, with this super hot summer, we did water more.

One tree is somewhat protected from the house next to it and perhaps gets more shade, but the other has no protection from the sun/wind, etc. With the pavers and western exposure- it's hot out there in the afternoons.

Now that it is October, the tree that is somewhat protected from the elements still has lots of leaves and the leaves are just about to turn color. However, the other tree had changed color much sooner and is dropping its leaves.

Is this normal? I love my trees- beautiful branches and color. The trees are not even 20 feet apart. I find this so concerning.

Thanks for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Western Redbud- leaves falling

I would not worry. We have lots of liquidamber where I work. Some turn color faster than others, even though they are only 10 feet apart. There can be very minor variances in temperature and wind exposure that you don't even notice. With the difference in exposure that you describe I would find it odd if both trees acted exactly the same.

o

Thanks so much for you reply. I really appreciate it!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 13:43

I had 6 western redbuds for 12 years, one will drop its leaves quickly and another right next to it will still have green leaves. Each of them was on its own schedule, even though they were right next to each other. Your description sounds normal for them. Once the leaves turned yellow they dropped quickly--the pretty gold was very brief.

Ginko will turn gold and hold for weeks and weeks and weeks--far better show, but a much larger tree as well.

o

Thanks hoovb!

o

Individual plants behave differently...think of two people in a room and one is warm and the other is cold...sounds like your C. occidentalis will be fine. They are not known for long periods of autumn color.

o

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here