Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limbed up Tecoma

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 12:16

There is a Tecoma growing in front of a business near my home. It is planted at the northeast corner of this building, and limbed up to grow like a small tree about 8 feet tall.

I'd like to grow one exactly like it in a similar spot and I'm wondering which variety it might be. It has slender pointed leaves and orange blooms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limbed up Tecoma

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 10:53

Perhaps it is Tecoma x ‘Orange Jubilee’

Here is a link that might be useful: orange jubilee

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 13:01

Thank you, that could be it.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 2:20

Tecoma x smithii is a faster/larger growing orange flowered Tecoma, and I've also used it trained as a standard. It resists being kept to a single trunk, and needs constant pruning to keep it from reverting to a shrub.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 18:25

Thank you, Bahia. 'Constant pruning' scares me away a bit, since I'm looking for something more low-maintenance.

For orange flowers, I'm also considering Salvia regla. We have one growing on the north side of our house where it gets morning sun in summer, and only bright shade in winter. It is very happy there. However, I'm wondering if it would be as happy with more sun, since even now in mid-October the spot I'm considering for it is still very sunny.

Can anyone recommend a limbed-up shrub or small tree with orange blooms that likes these conditions: east-facing with all-day summer sun, amended clay soil, low-to-moderate water).

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 0:07

You can't beat the Tecoma x smithii for dramatic and long season of blooms, but periodically you will need to prune out new basal shoots to keep as a standard. I've got one trained as a standard, and don't mind the occasional effort, but plant and forget use would be to allow this to grow as a large dense shrub.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here