Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Calliandra for San Diego

Posted by chezron 10b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 12:58

I am interested in adding a long-blooming Calliandra to my deck. It would be in pot. There is lots of room on the deck. I want the plant for the hummingbirds. I am partial to true red and not pink. What species and/or variety should I get?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Calliandra for San Diego

Contact your county's Extension Service office.

Locate your office with this map
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

o

Hi Jean,

I AM a Master Gardener. I am also sure my agent doesn't know the plants grown in this area, because he has better things to think about than Calliandra species. I appreciate the thought, but the reason I ask questions on the Forum is because I would like gardener's personal experience, and not something off the web, or in a book- I have access to those already. Unique experiences shared by people are what i cherish and look for on the Garden Forum.

o

I was trying to be helpful, so I'm sorry you're so miffed.

In my area, it's often true that other Master Gardeners have have had experience with plants desired by other MGs and/or know of a source.

o

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way. I know you were trying to be helpful and I appreciate it. When i read my reply I do sound miffed, wasn't really, just frustrated. I want someone to find a source that answers all my questions, but i guess it doesn't exist.

o

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 11:18

I've been reluctant to reply because I only have direct experience with one specimen of Calliandra californica planted in the ground at my house.

It's planted adjacent to my driveway in a front garden that receives no summer irrigation, but it does benefit from runoff when I water pots on the front walk. It's about three years old, tolerates fairly severe pruning, flowers year-round and is currently about 4' tall.

Ryan

P.S. Has anyone ever actually gotten hold of a county extension agent who had useful information about anything that isn't a locally grown crop?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here