Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mchembree

When and where to find Japanese Anemone for sale in SoCal

mchembree
10 years ago

Okay, I give up. I really want to try Japanese anemones in a part-shade area in my garden here in West Los Angeles / Santa Monica, but can't seem to find them available for purchase here. I'm especially looking for Hadspen Abundance and Honorine Jobert, but can't ever find them. Either the nursery never has any for sale, or (rarely) they get just a few and sell out before I get there. I prefer not to buy online if I can avoid it for these plants.

I've tried the local nurseries in September, October, and/or November for the past couple of years without success. I've asked Monrovia about local (or not-so-local) vendors, but this hasn't worked either.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a secret password or handshake for finding these plants here?!?

Thanks very much!

Judy

Comments (8)

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    10 years ago

Can't help with finding, but a warning - Honorine Jobert (tall white) has spread very aggressively in my yard, and is difficult to remove when it gets into rose bushes etc. I hand treated with Roundup and only got partial removal with it coming back completely in 2 years. The shorter pink forms seem to be better behaved...
    PPS if any one is interested in HJ they can come to Los Gatos and dig as much as they like...

• mchembree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the warning. I would really prefer the Hadspen Abundance, but figure it might be easier to find HJ since they seem more common. I wish someone closer to my neck of the woods had a problem like yours so I could help reduce their offending extra plants!

J.

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

The Green Arrow in the SFV used to carry them, but I haven't been there lately to see if they still have some. Have you tried the Green Arrow or Green Thumb nursery in WLA/Santa Monica area? It's been a while since I've been up that way so don't know if the nursery is still there. Think it is on Wilshire.

• mchembree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the lead about Green Arrow in SFV -- I tried calling them at the numbers provided by the MagicNet, but got the "this number is no longer in service" message twice. I don't think there's a Green Thumb/Arrow on Wilshire anymore -- just an Armstrongs (no JAs, either!). Sigh.

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

818 894 8306 from their website greenarrownurseries dot com

• mchembree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that, Eloise, but that number doesn't go through either (I just tried it again). Thanks though!

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I think the only way to get them is to see them in someone's yard and knock on the door. That's how I got the ones that I killed here in Simi Valley. Most people are happy to have you pull as many as you want. They seem to like quite a bit more water than I was prepared to spare.

• mchembree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hosenemesis, I just saw your response -- thanks! I'm afraid you might be right. I've not seen the Hadspen Abundance around here (the one I really want), but did just notice a bunch of what are probably Honorine Jobert growing in front of an apartment block just this weekend. I don't know how I'll find the right door to knock on there, but it's worth a shot! Thanks.