Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Suggestions to cover hot bare wall in narrow border

jenn
11 years ago

I'm looking for a moderate-to-fast growing, drought-tolerant something to cover a large bare wall about 7' wide on the side of our house that faces southeast. It's in our side yard and not visible from the street. This spot feels hot in summer when the sun beats down on the white house, casting blinding reflective light. This area gets hot sun until early afternoon during the warmer months; in the cooler months, the afternoon sun is blocked by the garage on the south side.

This spot is in a narrow border, about 3' deep between the house and a stone path. Our soil is clay, and this border does not get regular irrigation.

I envision a narrow limbed-up shrub or small tree to walk under, easy enough to keep trimmed back from the path and house as it grows taller into a small tree form. Or, a well-mannered vine that does not engulf the house. This spot doesn't get enough winter sun for a climbing Rose. The sideyard is full of edibles (apple trees, lemon tree, Lemon Verbena, peppers) mixed with some ornamentals (Iris, Salvias). I call it my 'fun' garden. We have lots of birds but I'd prefer something without berries to litter the path.

I've considered citrus (possibly too slow growing, unless we find a large plant for a large pot) and Tecoma x smithii.

Any suggestions welcome!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert